Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'Failed' Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 polaris6

polaris6

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 09 March 2005 - 07:04 PM

I had a 'friend' who is fairly knowledgeable about hardware replaced my 40 GB HGD with a 60 GB HD, and tried to copy the contents for the 40 GB drive on to the 60 GB drive. The 40 GB drive was in a 'caddy' which connected to the computer thru the USB post. He tells me that he was able to read the 40 GB drive thru the USB port, but could not copy the contents on to the 60 GB drive.

When I got the 40 GB drive, I couldn't get the PC (a Dell Laptop-Latitude) to even recognize the drive through the USB port. On one occasion, I got the 'blue screen' with some error messages as soon as I plugged the drive into the USB port and the computer hug after that, and would not proceed/boot until I removed the connection from the USB post; one another occasion, I was to actually boot the machine, but the computer didn't recognize there was anything connected to the USB port.

My question(s) is/are: is it technically possible to recover the data from the 40 MB drive? What sort of recovery software is available to try, i.e., demos? Is it practical to quick format the drive so that it might be read, then try to recover data?

Thanks for any advice/support.

polaris6

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 09 March 2005 - 10:56 PM

Try Digital Dolly . It has a drive copy utility . Even if it does not work for this is has a great list of options that are good to have . Let me know if it works in this case.

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 10 March 2005 - 09:44 PM

Thank you. I will give it a try.

polaris6