Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Hal.dll File

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 TheGrayNobleman

TheGrayNobleman

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 01:05 AM

Hey everyone, got a problem for you.

One of my customers called me recently to ask about a problem he was having with his computer. Basically when he starts up his computer there is a ~10% chance it will boot normally and a ~25% it will boot if he presses F8 and selects "Boot from last good configuration".

I did some research into what might be causing this problem and found it is a file contained in the boot.ini section of the computer (from what I read a vital part to the computer).

Here is how the problem occurred. The client was running a copy of Microsoft's Bootvis and after the restart for the optimization (it shuts down you computer, reboots, analyzes the programs that load then defragments the boot.ini) the computer had an unexpected loss of power while it was defragmenting. This I assume is the cause of this error.

The computer is a Compaq desktop running windows XP home edition.

So far I have used the windows xp home edition CD to both repair windows and used the windows recovery console to reinstall the boot.ini but neither of these attempts have worked.

My question is, is there any way to get rid of this problem without reinstalling the operating system? (ie not lose all the information and programs stored on the hard drive)

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 01:46 AM

See if one of these helps:
Error Message: Cannot Find \Windows\System32\hal.dll

"Invalid Boot.ini" or "Windows could not start" error messages when you start your computer
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 01:52 AM

Hi TheGrayNobleman, Sorry to hear about your problem.

I don't know a lot about these things but the post title caught my eye so I stopped to read it. Judging by the title your problem is due to a missing .dll file right?

So if you just re-install that file wouldn't that fix the problem?

If that would work why don't you try dashing over here --> http://www.windll.com/[EDIT: I just found out that this is NOT a free site, you gotta pay something here] then look at the index on the left side of the page and click on the "H", then scroll down the list in the middle of the page until you get to the hal.dll and hal486c.dll file downloads and just download whichever one you need?

Let me know if that helped you any, OK?

Wendy

Edited by Wendy K. Walker, 10 February 2008 - 01:15 AM.

TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 09:38 AM

The missing hal.dll error can have many causes. But the issue here (IMO) is not that you're just getting this error message - but what other damage was done when the power was interrupted.

FWIW - I'd keep an eye on this system as it's likely to cause further problems related to this power interruption (especially because the recovery console and the repair installation didn't fix it). OTOH - I have a system similar to this at my wife's office that has been working fine for almost a year after the power interruption (and a repair install). It's still a bit quirky - but it runs everything that we need it to run.

But, being pragmatic about this, I'd backup all the data and start looking for all the program CD's so that you'll be prepared to reinstall it if it becomes necessary.

Finally, you may want to have them get a disk imaging utility (I use Acronis True Image - but it's not free) in the event that they hose the system again. Restoring an image takes about 20 minutes - and it'll put them back to the point where they made the image (so then the backup chores are greatly lessened).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 TheGrayNobleman

TheGrayNobleman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 01:06 PM

Wow thanks for the replies everyone! I've have already began troubleshooting and this is what has happened so far.

@tg1911
I tried the second link (the Microsoft one) without any resolve. I will spend some time later today to try the first link and will post an update it that fixed it. Thank you for the posts!

@Wendy K. Walker
Thanks Wendy for the suggestion. I was considering that but I do not know how to install .DLL files (aside from dragging and dropping). Is there some way I could find out where the file goes or a program that could move it to the place it needs to be?

@usasma
You are amazing sir. You advice has been very helpful for the posts I've done lately.
I will look into a recovery disk to solve this problem and was able to back up all of the information on a removable hard drive during one of the times the computer was successfully able to boot up. My client also has a new vista computer (blegh) and was using this older one until one of his work programs was compatible with Vista. I am going to try some of the suggestions from the posts above just to see if there is any other way to get around this problem (hoping its just software related) and if not nothing has been lost data wise. So it will be a sudo happy ending.

Thanks everyone! :thumbsup:

#6 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 10 February 2008 - 01:45 AM

Hi TheGrayNobleman,

OK, I'm just a little corn-fused here now. I mean I'm supposed to be the blond bimbo around here so I gotta ask "what'cha mean you don't know how to download it Boo?" I would think that you would do it just like you would any other program.

First I save everything that I download to disk so that my Anti-Virus will scan it when I click on the "Run" button after it's been downloaded.

Then when it asks where you want to stick it you just tell it to put it wherever you want it to go Boo... like "C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386" or wherever it is supposed to go and then click "OK" or "Install" and that little bugger will get stuck right where you told it to go.

I'm also kind of corn-fused over the wording of your post. The post title says "Missing Hal.dll file" but you didn't elaborate on that in the body of the post.

Did you get some kind of error message saying that a .dll file was missing? If you did what "Exactly" did it say Boo?

Here's a link to some FREE .dll files --> http://www.dlldump.com/download-dll-files_...0/download.html It has a "HAL.DLL" but I don't know if that is the same thing as a "hal.dll" file. You might want to ask usasma if those two things are the same file as he's more the expert here than I am.

Check it out and let me know what you discover.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#7 TheGrayNobleman

TheGrayNobleman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:58 PM

Just reformatted and did a clean install of windows. That seemed to fix the problem.

Thanks for the help guys!

#8 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 01:59 AM

Hi TheGrayNobleman,

Oh well, so long as it works. Glad you got it fixed.

Wendy

#9 TheGrayNobleman

TheGrayNobleman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:57 PM

Got a quick question.

The screen the computer was hooked up to is now stuck in some kind of endless cycles were it turns on and off every couple of seconds. The problem occurred right after the computer problem.

Is there any way the computer failure is affecting the screen?

Thanks.

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:57 PM

Is the computer running and it's just the monitor flashing on and off. Can you see Windows in the backround when it's on? shut the computer off. Turn it back on and go into safemode. If it works in safe mode, double check your display settings, both resolution and refresh rates

Edited by garmanma, 13 February 2008 - 09:58 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#11 TheGrayNobleman

TheGrayNobleman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 12:22 AM

Is the computer running and it's just the monitor flashing on and off. Can you see Windows in the backround when it's on? shut the computer off. Turn it back on and go into safemode. If it works in safe mode, double check your display settings, both resolution and refresh rates

The computer is running fine. No errors or anything. I have hooked the computer up to 2 different monitors and it works perfectly on those.
When I am using the screen I can see brief glimpses of the bios > windows loading > the desktop but the screen itself keeps turning on and off every couple of seconds.
I will try booting it in safe mode tomorrow when I am able to access it.

Thanks for the advice garmanma! :thumbsup:

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 08:52 AM

I didn't see before that you had tried other monitors. Either the monitor's bad or the refresh rate is off for that one monitor
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#13 TheGrayNobleman

TheGrayNobleman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2008 - 06:38 PM

I didn't see before that you had tried other monitors. Either the monitor's bad or the refresh rate is off for that one monitor

I've tried the monitor out on other computer with the same problem (is the refresh rate contained within the monitor?)

Any like attempts before it gets scrapped?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users