Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Event Viewer System Error #7026

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Beav

Beav

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:44 PM

When I shutdown or restart I find the following system error in Event Viewer:
Source: Service Control Manager
Error Event ID 7026
Description: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: Kl1.

This has been happening for a long time I think. I have not worried about it because everything seems to work OK. I have read forums and gone to Google. Seems to be related to Kaspersky, maybe something to do with Zone Alarm, or both.
This probably is not a major problem, but I would appreciate help resolving it. I may have at some time in the past downloaded Kaspersky AV and uninstalled (not sure). Maybe something left over? Can't find anything using Search.

Compaq Presario
Windows XP SP2
Zone Alarm Free firewall--WinPatrol--Prevx2--AVG Antivirus--Spybot S&D--SuperAntispyware--Spyware Blaster--Ad-Aware 2007.
Thanks, Beav

I should have added: When going to Compaq help and support center I get the following.
EXPLANATION: The specified drivers did not load correctly. The driver might not be in the expected location.
USER ACTION:
1. Verify that the drivers are configured correctly.
2.Verify that the computer is running the most current version of the drivers.
Also in the Details, a Version 5.0 and a version 5.2 are mentioned.
Symbolic Name: EVENT_BOOT_SYSTEM_DRIVERS_FAILED
Hope this helps.

Edited by Beav, 09 February 2008 - 12:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 53,859 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 08:23 AM

Take a look: http://www.file.net/process/kl1.sys.html

Generally speaking...if the file is not in the location specified in the above link, it probably is malware.

I suggest reinstalling Kasperky...and then uninstalling it properly via Add/Remove Programs...as the initial attempt to remove this.

Another possibility is that the file has been removed but there still remains a pointer in your startup items which is looking for the missing file. If that is the case, you can use a tool like AutoRuns for Windows v8.73 - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...s/AutoRuns.mspx to disable or remove the marker from your list of startup items.

If using the above tool, just look on the tab marked Logons (which reflects startup items), rather than the general tab reflecting all processes and startup items.

Louis

#3 Beav

Beav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 02:25 PM

Thanks for the info Louis

I used auto runs as you suggested. I could not find Kl1 listed in the startups, but clicked on drivers. Kl1 was listed and checked. Under Image Path it stated, "file not found". I removed the check mark and have restarted computer several times and now no longer receive the error message.
Also listed under drivers is KLIF, listed as a minifilter belonging to Kaspersky Labs. I left it checked because I think it may have something to do with my Zone Alarm Free firewall.
Any more suggestions or comments would be welcomed. Hopefully this issue is resolved.
Thanks again. Beav

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 53,859 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 03:09 PM

Glad you solved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Not sure there is a link between the file you named and ZA (I don't use either) but you know where it is if a reference pops up onscreen or in an error message.

Louis

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,302 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 01:17 AM

Hello Beav,

I assure you there is no link between KLIF and ZoneAlarm. I've had a Kaspersky engine driven AV on my computer in the past, and KLIF was a leftover when I uninstalled it. I later installed ZA security suite, and KLIF was not installed with it.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users