Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Pointer/mouse

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 happybooker1

happybooker1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:32 PM

emachine W3400 with standard equipment. Bought new Nov. 2004. DVD drive took to working 'sometimes' and EVERYONE said I could easily replace the internal drive myself. Bought new Panasonic drive at Fry's. Took old drive out, plugged in new drive (yes it was as easy as everyone said). Restarted machine. I have a logitech wireless keyboard & mouse. Pointer will not move. There is NOTHING I can do with no pointer/mouse function or keyboard.

Here's what I have done: restarted computer at least 10 times over the course of the night. Pushed connect/reconnect/reset button NUMEROUS times. Changed batteries in wireless mouse/keyboard to brand new. Went to Walmart & bought new keyboard/mouse combo (NOT wireless). TOok out new DVD drive & reinstalled old one. Tried every USB port in the computer.

Nothing works. Pointer is frozen in middle of screen & will NOT move. I get a message on the screen that new hardwear is detected but I can't do anything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:54 PM

Hello and :thumbsup: to BC! happybooker1

Well PC's never had mice at first so see if you can navigate to the device manager to see if your mouse is detected or there are any errors. To get there you go Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device manager. If you can see your mouse/keyboard wireless thing then in the context menu try updating the drivers.

Did the wireless set come with any software or drivers on a disk?

Hope that helps! :huh:

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:13 PM

Just my[img]http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:cOdduEt2zQyqJM:http://www.msgl.com/res/images/pic/2-cents.gif[/img] here, but here's how you can access the Device Manager using only the keyboard:

1. Hold down the "Windows Logo" key and press R
2. In the Run... box, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter
3. Ta-da!
4. You can navigate using the arrow keys and the Tab key.

#4 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:44 PM

lol Thanks Amazing Andrew, I knew there would be a shorter way... I'm never one for keyboard shorcuts :thumbsup: .

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 12:53 AM

No problem! Personally, I try to use the mouse as little as possible... except when fragging in Unreal Tournament.

#6 happybooker1

happybooker1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 10:44 AM

I HAVE no keyboard also!! No mouse, no keyboard. Wireless OR wired. They won't work. Nothing moves. Windows loads, screen comes up, all my icons are there, little box pops up that says 'found new hardwear' and I can't select ANYTHING!!!! What can you do with NO MOUSE and NO KEYBOARD properties?????

BTW, thanks for the welcome. ANd I sure have learned my lesson. I'm never trying to do ANYTHING by myself again!!!

Edited by happybooker1, 09 February 2008 - 10:48 AM.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 01:48 PM

It worked before you installed the drive and now it doesn't work.

Disconnect the drive and then boot up. Does the mouse and keyboard work now? If so, then it's either in the installation of the drive or the drive itself that the problem exists.

Have you tried a new cable for the drive? Have you ensured that both the drive cable and the power cable are attached to the drive? Have you checked the jumpers on the back of the drive to see if they're set in CS (Cable Select) mode? If it's not, then the far end of the cable is the place for the "Master" setting - and the middle connector is the place for the "Slave" setting.

If all this doesn't work, return the drive or exchange it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 happybooker1

happybooker1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 04:54 PM

Yep, everything worked 5 minutes before I took out the old drive & tried to install the new one. The old drive worked MOST of the time also, so I can't see it being the cables, but maybe..... I'll try that when I get back home. Thanks.

BUt when I took out the NEW drive & reinstalled the old drive, the keyboard/mouse still didn't work.

Edited by happybooker1, 09 February 2008 - 04:56 PM.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 06:26 PM

Examine the inside carefully to see if you knocked anything loose while working inside
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users