Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old Hard Drives Worth Anything? Platinum Or Gold Coating?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:19 PM

Do old hard drives have enough gold or platinum in them to be worth anything? I have a few around the house.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:33 PM

I have absolutely no idea about this field but for the sake of curiosity made a search and guess what? Somebody is trying to sell an e-book on ebay dealing with this subject: The 2006 Platinum Recycling Guide for Computers/Electronics (and Autos also)

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:54 PM

I used to work at a circuit board mfg. years ago. We recycled, but we had a large volume so it was worth it. The process is quite hazardous. You or the recyclers would have to store a whole lot to make it worthwhile
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:11 PM

The process is quite hazardous

In what way?

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:07 PM

The cyanide-gold plating process puts a thin gold overlay on a 67/33 tin-lead base. They use a chemical etching liquid to remove it. I'm going back 30 years but I know it hasn't changed that much
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:44 PM

I saw that on ebay...

So is it platinum? Beat it off or scrape it?

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 08:57 AM

I saw that on ebay...

So is it platinum? Beat it off or scrape it?

It's gold. The base metal is so soft and the gold plating is so thin, you can't just scrape of the gold
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 11:44 AM

Any, true recycling effort that would be of a profitable nature needs to be EPA approved. Due to the multiple hazardous materials mixed in with the minute amounts of precious metals. As well as the highly toxic removal and heavy metals separations processes. Also as an example it would take an average of one ton of random circuit-board waste to generate one pound of gold. Add to that electronic grade precious metals are not the expensive jewelry grade high dollar metals. Therefore looking at the gold market is not the price you would get. So the profit you would make on the precious metals would be eaten up by the fees and expense of waste disposal of the one ton of hazardous useless waste product left behind after you reclaimed the precious and hazardous heavy metals. This is definitely not a a project to undertake on a small scale in your garage.

Materials Found In A Ton Of
Random Electronic Board

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 02:03 PM

As a kid, I plated the gold fingers onto the circuit boards for the PDP-11 mainframe computers. There wasn't enough gold there to make the company take any security precautions at all.

I'd expect that it'd be less profitable than picking up cans for the deposit money.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,058 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 12:46 AM

When referring to precious metals any mention of "ounce" is referring to the troy ounce weight scale which is a bit different than the avoirdpoidus(sp?) system. One troy ounce is equal to 31.1 grams.

Not counting the cost of removal chemicals and thge Toxicity see second chart.
http://www.rocksandminerals.com/recycle.htm
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 Conundrum123

Conundrum123

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 30 January 2017 - 01:11 AM

One good source I found is scrap reed switches. A lot of these are still used as they draw no power in use and despite being an electromechanical device are good for 200,000 cycles.

The precious metals are typically found in the leadout wires and switch surfaces, but to get a sensible amount you'd need to find ancient monster units which were far more liberal with the gold than modern ones in some cases a mere 160 would have 1g gold total ($36 worth)

For that matter any large switch such as the PCB mounted ones found in dead VCRs and DVD players should have a fair few gold plated surfaces.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users