Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Supply Noise?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 1984

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:09 PM

Hello all. Recently I've noticed the power supply unit on my computer making a buzzing noise. This happens whenever I connect the AC chord, as soon as I do the little noise begins. When I disconnect it takes a few seconds but the buzzing slows down to a clicking noise and eventually stops. I've had the computer for about four years and recently the hard drive on it failed, and I'm now wondering whether it had something to do with the power supply unit. Has anyone ever heard of this kind a problem with the power supply unit?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:24 PM

Yes, it sounds like the transformer inside could be failing, or possibly the capacitor. Is the fan turning? I'd recommend a new one. If you have added extra hard drives or optical drives I would increase the wattage
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users