Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reviving An Old Computer......that Worked A Couple Of Days Ago

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sonic1186

sonic1186

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 08:23 PM

Hey, okay, I have this problem that I've been workin on for months. I have this pretty old computer. I call her Old Becky. It was the first computer I ever built......anyway, so the problem is this: It doesn't get to the post screen anymore. You turn it on and the lights come on. The CD Drive light flickers like it should and the floppy drive light comes on then goes off like it normally would......but no post screen. The screen LED, however, blinks from green to orange when you push the restart button sometimes. Don't know if that's relevant but I figured I'd throw that in. Also, it makes a beep code. It goes: beeeeep beep beep, high tone low tone. Then it just sits there.

It would probably help if I gave some details on the board, ain't. lol. sorry, my bad. The manual says it's a Soyo SY-5EHM/5EH5 Super 7 Mainboard. The board itself says SY-5EHM V1.1. It runs an AMD-K6-2/450AFX 2.2V CORE/3.3V processor. The BIOS type is AWARD......if that helps any. It also has a removable Graphics, sound, and ethernet card.

What I have tried: I replaced the graphics card with a known working one....no change. I stripped the machine and reassembled it....that worked once about a year or 2 ago when I couldn't get it to start up, not this time. I tried replacing the watch battery. I tried reseting the CMOS. I've replaced the Power Supply....no change.

So...yeah, I'm not sure if this is fixable this time or not. I like to think she has a few more years in her but who knows. So any methods to try or anything would be greatly appreciated because I'm out. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:29 PM

Award BIOS beep codes This will help decipher the beeps. If it's been sitting for awhile, I would replace the motherboard battery, remove everything possible, blow clean, and reseat all cards cables, memory, anything you can think of
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 sonic1186

sonic1186
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:16 PM

thanks for responding.....and researching. It actually wasn't sitting around. lol. My good computer's processor fan had died and I used Becky for a while until I was able to fix that computer. It had Windows ME on it...yeah, I just wanted to mess around and see if I could keep the OS from crashin and burning like it had to alot of people. lol Anyway, I fixed my good computer and decide that I was gonna format the drive and install something else because it had gotten really slow for no reason at all. I then formated the drive and removed the graphics card to use in another computer i was testing stuff on and when I put the card back into Becky a couple days later it wouldn't come back on and it gave me those beeps. So I don't know. Do you have any theories as to why it just suddenly doesn't work any more? I don't get it. Other than it's old. Also, I just removed everything cleaned it off good. no signs of physical damage anywhere. Oh! I reassembled it without the HD, CD, Floppy, and extra stuff and now there's a pause between the beeps........like, it goes: beeeeep beep beep ...........high tone low tone. Not sure if that holds any relevence but I figured it was another piece of the puzzle.

#4 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:59 PM

Beeps | Error Message | Description
1 long, 2 short | Video adapter error | Either video adapter is bad or is not seated properly. Also, check to ensure the monitor cable is connected properly.

From the Award website posted earlier. . .I'd check out that stuff.

Posted Image

#5 RLI

RLI

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 02:31 AM

I'd say test the PSU manually.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users