Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Directx 9.0c

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 provocateur

provocateur

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 05:30 PM

I have an irritating problem. I used CCleaner on my PC as it was getting very slow and this did help, but now a new problem has cropped up. I tried to start Need for Speed Most Wanted and it refused to run as the DirectX version was incorrect. I then reinstalled 9.0c, but it just started copying files and then immediately finished. On running Dxdiag, I found that 9.0b was installed and no matter how many times I tried to reinstall 9.0c, nothing happened. I then Googled the problem and tried a multitude of fixes, including Directx uninstalls. Eventually, after reading a post on a similar problem, I copied all the 9.0c .cab files to the 9.0b install directory, which then seemed to install the correct version, but three of the files were tagged as old versions, so I copied the latest files from my laptop to my PC and all seemed OK. But on reinstalling NFSMW, it asks for 9.0c to be installed, even though Dxdiag sees the version as 9.0c. Additionally, I get the following when I run Dxdiag - "Error: Could not get basic sound info., result code = 0x80070075 (Invalid argument(s))". Then, after clicking OK, I get "Error: Problem getting extra sound info., result code = 0x80070075 (Invalid argument(s))", which comes up twice. I have downloaded the latest sound drivers for my (integrated) sound hardware (AC97), but the problem persists. The sound does work and the sound tests work in Dxdiag, so I am at my wit's end with this taxing problem. I would like to reinstall NFSMW, but with the current problem, I cannot.
Has anyone had a similar problem? I have not searched the forum for similar problems, so if advice exists, please point me in the right direction.

PC - Pentium E2140 Dual core 1.6Ghz
2Mb 533Mhz RAM
80Gb Seagate SATA HDD
Jetway P900DMP motherboard
Nvidia 7300GS PCIe graphics card
Windows XP SP2
BenQ Lightscribe DVDR/RW

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:43 PM

There is no official way to uninstall DirectX as when you install it says "once this update is installed it cannot be removed". But your best bet is probably to use some utility that grabs all remnants of DX from version 2.0 to 9.0c to uninstall completely and then install again. DirectX Happy Uninstall DirectX Eradicator I presume NFSMW has DX 9.0c with it?

Hope that helps! :thumbsup:

Edited by usasma, 09 February 2008 - 09:15 AM.
Removed registry recommendation

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#3 syunichi

syunichi

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 12:21 AM

I tried the application that Tomo2 mentioned. Be warned that you may corrupt your system...just a reminder :flowers: In my case I did corrupted, but sometimes I succeed and restore the old directx 8.0..but again I wont recommend the method for you unless you are 110% confident in sense of backing up all your data and file system. Do also a checkpoint from your system restore to gain access to revert if anything goes wrong...other than that, I wish you luck. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Tech Support: "Do you have any windows open right now?"
Customer: "Are you crazy woman, it's twenty below outside..."

#4 provocateur

provocateur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 12:34 PM

Hi Guys, DirectX Eradicator refuses to run an my PC (Doesn't work on my Windows version) and uninstalling DirectX asks for a Windows 2000 CD. It ends up with DirectX 7.0 (according to DxDiag) and refuses to install 9.0c. I then install 9.0b which then stays permanent and refuses to give way to the upstart 9.0c. So I am attempting to restore my windows directory from a 10 day old backup. I'll let you know what transpires.... :) :thumbsup: :flowers: :cool: :trumpet: :inlove:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users