Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can A Program Be Made Cheaply To Do This?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 03:24 PM

I need or wonder if a program can be made cheaply to do what I want here.

I have a idea to make a auto feeder. Its a simple process.

Robot starts at a certain time each night and fills itself up full of water and food power. Circulates for a set amount of times with its pump
to stir the contents. Moves on a track and stops at certain spots that the computer tells it to. Simply pumps milk out its extended arms.

Come back puts soap on and goes through a rinse cycle. Shuts off.

I would also need it to be able to not feed certain containers through the software selection. Like when animals are not in the pen.

Could this be done? I know it could but for a descent price?

See we are getting lots more calves than we used to. Calf feeding systems cost like 400,000 a pop and only feed like 50 calves. We run on average almost that.
In short for now it would never be able to pay itself off if we spent money like that.

But something that works well and costs say 2000 bucks might be worth it. I can build it cheaply and design it myself as I am really good at that type of stuff but I am no software maker. It does not have to be pretty just a basic thing that can be ran on a OS say linux or Windows.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:59 PM

A custom application and customized hardware just to drive the machine is going to cost way more than just a few thousand dollars. Sorry. You might be able to build the machine for that much.

#3 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:00 PM

Something that is required to perform just a few simple functions, repeatedly, shouldn't need to have any type of sophisticated control. It would be far easier to make the entire process mechanical. Computers are not the best solution to every kind of problem.

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:22 PM

It was just a idea as I thought with the right person it might be cheap being I only need it to do a simple repeated process.
Guess I better get to the "drawing board"...

#5 chayisun

chayisun

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:45 PM

An Auto feeder? Well, my car uses gasoline..At least that's what I feed it....Oh...You mean an AUTOMATIC feeder....not for a car......Oh..... :thumbsup:

#6 Alan-LB

Alan-LB

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 14 February 2008 - 12:19 AM

Ask others that you know in your industry (maybe your neighbours) and see what they have found. Maybe there already exist some sort of basic process controllers that would do the job for you at a reasonable price. You might try Googling on the subject and searching for something like "automatic cattle feeders". Your problem sounds like it may be a common one in which case there may already be a cheap solution on the market.

To the picky Chayisun who doesn't like your use of "auto" tell me how you feed your car? Where is its mouth, or is it fed intravenously? Also your punctuation is lousy!! :thumbsup: But I am sure your very helpful reply is appreciated!!

Alan
There are 10 types of people - those who understand binary and those who don't!!

Today is the Beta version of Tomorrow!

#7 MeanPC

MeanPC

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 08 May 2008 - 12:26 PM

If I were going to build something like that, I would consider doing it on a BASIC Stamps kind of platform, which is basically an entire computer on a chip.

http://www.parallax.com/

BASIC stamps are ideal for simple automation tasks - you would have to learn the programming language first, of course. I have programmed a few of them, and it is not difficult if you have ever done any type of programming at all.
Posted Image

#8 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 02:39 PM

You should consult Botball.org. It's an educational regional club (maybe national? Maryland) where they program robots with Interactive C, which is similar to Java. It's really easy to use. I'm in the club, and we use things as simple as Lego RCX bots (lego computer bricks) which are about half the size of a masonry brick. Or you can step it up to Botball's new venture: the iRobot Create, which is like a Roomba mixed with an RCX. It's pretty cheap, but the programming would be... complicated.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users