Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internet link broken

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 clayco

clayco

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 09 March 2005 - 05:09 PM

I have a buddys computer that I tried to remove the spyware from. It ended up breaking the internet connection (I think). After the removal of almost 1600 pcs. of spyware, and 3 viruses, the puter would only flash the "compac" logo, try to load xp pro, only to start the process all over again. He lost the cd for recovery, then found it. I recovered the system and saved his files. The computer now boots to the "User accounts" screen, but when I click on one of the users, a box pops up and tells me that the install has to be activated by microsoft before any of the users can log on. It says, would you like to activate now. I click yes, the screen says "saving settings"(for user).
I ran the LSP fix, but the internet link is still broken. So, I don't know what to do. I really need someone to walk me through this thing. It is probably something simple. As you can probably tell, I am not a computer guru, by any means. If it will help, my buddy told me to do a complete install and to erase all of the contents of the drive.
Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,389 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2005 - 05:51 PM

Can you post a hjt log from his compuiter? Maybe run it there and save it to a floppy?

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2005 - 06:56 PM

How do you connect to the internet - phone line or broadband?

Also, Microsoft offers free tech support if your problem is connected with the SP2 update, which it may well be.

Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support
Services at 1-866-PC SAFETY (1-866-727-2338). There is no charge for support calls associated with security updates.

If Microsoft won't help walk you through the repair, let us know what exactly happens when you open your browser to connect to the internet.

#4 vconcepts29

vconcepts29

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2005 - 10:26 PM

Download and run WINXPFIX now! do a search at download.com or spychecker.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users