Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gotomyhit.com

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Stuart G

Stuart G

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:46 PM

Good evening,

I am rather stuck in a rut here, so hope someone can help out!

I seem to have acquired a malicious piece of malware that keeps transferring me to 'gomyhit.com' and popping up with 'Windows has detected a piece of spyware - click here to remove'. I've had this before - and nearly always have been able to fix it - until now.

I have downloaded Ad-Aware but it seems to have disabled that - along with the internet and various other applications.

And, of course, I am on the internet on another computer so cannot post a hijack this log or details or download any more spyware remover.

What should I do?

Kindest regards,

Stuart

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,061 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:54 PM

Hello Stuart G and welcome to BC :flowers:

Do you have a flash drive, floppy disk, zip disk, etc. you can use on both computers? If so, you can download the programs you need to it, and install them on the affected computer from the disk or drive. You can also transfer the file logs to the disk or drive then go to the unaffected computer to post them. I do this all the time, especially with large downloads because I have dial-up at home.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#3 Stuart G

Stuart G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 02:00 PM

Hey,

Thanks for the reply.

Trouble is the other computer I'm on is a MAC.

You're a better man than I am if you can get these two talking properly!!

Stu

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,061 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 02:11 PM

If you plug in a flash drive that has been used on a PC on a Mac, my experience has been that the Mac will add a file or so for compatibility, though it's been a while since I've used a Mac. I don't know about disks as I haven't switched between computer types with those. I have actually composed word documents switching back and forth from a Mac to a PC during the composition process. The key is to be sure that any files you save using the Mac have the file extension included, otherwise the PC doesn't know what to do and can't open the file.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

animinionsmalltext.gif

#5 Stuart G

Stuart G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 02:16 PM

The next problem is - I don't have the internet on the other machine - because the virus is blocking it for some reason!?

S

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,061 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 02:28 PM

I assume you mean the PC - infected -has no internet connection? I figured that was the case; hence, the suggestion to download security programs using the Mac - not infected - and transferring them via a disk or flash drive to the infected one. Once you do the scans, you can copy the log file to the disk or flash drive, then go back to the Mac and use the Mac to paste any requested logs.

Orange Blossom

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users