Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Doesn't Start, Can't Boot From Cd

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mursinary

mursinary

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:26 PM

So I purchased and built a new machine last week, and it's been working fine. However, I tried to turn it on this morning, and it was frozen on the windows xp screen for a good 10-15 minutes until I decided to retry it. This time, I get the "Windows failed to start up, please choose an option from below" screen. I first chose "Last known working configuration", same thing. Then I tried safe mode, and it quickly ran down a list of drivers, then stopped, and stayed on that screen until I restarted again. After doing some reading, I was told that I'd need to reinstall windows or format the hard drive, so I attempted to boot from the XP CD. But no matter what I do(setting cd to top boot priority in the bios), it doesn't recognize the disc. I tried putting in the cd that came with my motherboard, manually selecting the cd, and it just skips past and goes to the "Windows failed to start..." screen again. So what are my options here? Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Fredil Yupigo

Fredil Yupigo

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 10:47 AM

Just to clarify...

You put in the Windows XP CD, and you set the CD to the primary boot device in your computer's BIOS. No message came up saying "Press any key to boot from CD", and Windows just didn't work.

#3 mursinary

mursinary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 02:39 PM

Yes, that's correct. The computer either attempts to start Windows and winds up staying on the black Windows XP screen, or gives me the option of safe mode/last known working config, and then proceeds to do the same thing.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 03:14 PM

Is there a floppy drive on this system?

Can you get into the BIOS?

Consider removing the CMOS battery or shorting the CMOS jumper?

Louis

#5 mursinary

mursinary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 11:42 AM

There is a floppy, and I can get into the bios. As far as the CMOS, I can't say I'm familiar with it. What would shorting it do, and how would one do that?

#6 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 11:55 AM

The CMOS is where your BIOS configuration information is stored. Most motherboards have two pins on them labelled "CMOS Reset" or "Clear config data" or something similar. Shorting those by touching them with a metal object (with the PC powered off) will clear the setup information.

If your not familiar with the innards of your PC, it's not something I'd advise.
You could use another PC to create the Windows XP Startup floppy disks, see here. You will need 6 blank floppy disks.

Change your BIOS settings to boot from the floppy drive, and boot from floppy disk 1.
This would have the same effect as booting from the CD-ROM, although you will still need the CD if you intend to reinstall Windows.

What is the last driver listed when you try to boot into Safe Mode?
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#7 mursinary

mursinary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 12:16 PM

The last driver is WINDOWS\system32\drivers\Mup.sys

#8 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 12:23 PM

Try following the instructions here: http://www.aitechsolutions.net/mupdotsysXPhang.html
Where it says about resetting ESCD data, go into the BIOS and look for an option titled "Reset configuration data"

Hope that helps,
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users