Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flash Player 9 Addon Install Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:52 AM

Using XP Pro SP2 on a Dell Inspiron6000.

Although installing Macromedia FLash Player as a Firefox addon works fine, I am also trying to install it as an addon to IE7, but the installation fails and shows a popup to go to http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_19166.

I've scoured the adobe website and others for solutions (including using their proprietary uninstaller, installing older versions of Flash Player, running a .com file to reset registry permissions relating to Flash Player, trying uninstall and reinstalls in safe-mode, disabling security related software) but none work.

I have also reviewed other BC threads on the topic here and here. Sadly, no success with the suggestions there (including updating sound drivers).

Other steps I have taken:
I've tried to diagnose where the problem occurs by trying the install while selecting the option to "show details". The problem occurs when trying to register the following file: C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash9e.ocx. I hit the "OK" button and navigated to the folder. Lo and behold, there is no Flash9e.ocx file in that directory (although the folder does exist, as does a couple of files). I tried it again, this time navigating to the folder before hitting the OK button on the install dialog. This time, the file was there (hitting OK at that point would have cleared the file from the drive).

So while the ocx file was there, I tried to manually register it by running "regsvr32 /u C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash9e.ocx" and then "regsvr32 C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash9e.ocx" from the command line. This time a new (and more revealing) error occured:

DLLRegisterServer in
c:\windows\system32\macromed\flash\flash9e.ocx failed.
Return code was: 0x8002801c

According to this website, the error is related to permissions issues in the registry. Upon their recommendation, I ran Procmon (the website referred to it as the earlier version, Sysmon) and found a number of Flash related registry entries which fell under the category of Access Denied. In the registry editor, I found the entry that it was referring to and attempted to alter permissions to allow the login to modify them. Here again, access was denied for the user (who happens to be in the administrators group).

This seems to be a pretty common problem, as its pretty easy to find material on the web about it. So at least I know I'm not crazy. Well, not on account of this anyways. :thumbsup:

Apart from waiting for some sort of patch to be released, has anybody had success trying to fix this issue?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 adrian mathers

adrian mathers

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:31 AM

I had the same as you
In Registry for each of the keys / subkeys under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{D27CDB6B-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} check the owner (right click / permissions / advanced button / owner tab)
For me it was a "? blah blah" I changed it to Administrators and the flash player install then workd fine.
Good luck

#3 jhsmurray

jhsmurray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:10 PM

Thanks adrian, I am at that point now, but I do not have permissions to modify this entry (which is presumably the source of the problem). It seems strange because the account I am using does have administrative rights. The only next step I can think of is to try it in safe-mode and see what happens.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#4 adrian mathers

adrian mathers

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:39 PM

I tried changing the ownership at the top key and using "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" but that failed
I was, however, able to change the owner for the subkeys one by one starting at the bottom and working up

Edited by adrian mathers, 20 February 2008 - 05:41 PM.

#5 jhsmurray

jhsmurray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2008 - 04:24 AM

I was working on a different problem (installing XP SP3 with an error "access is denied") on the same machine and in finding a solution for that, I also solved this problem.

If you decide to try this, remember to backup your registry first.

The article was found here, and here are the steps I took:

Checked if you installed subinacl.exe. If not download and install subinacl.exe.

Create a file called reset.cmd with Notepad. Copy the text below into the file reset.cmd and run reset.cmd with administrative rights (it may take a LONG time):

cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %windir%*.* /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

0 user(s) are reading this topic