Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery Console

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 snakedoctor

snakedoctor

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:25 AM

Hello i would like to install the recovery console on my pc i dident get a xp home cd ive asked around & searched in google & came up with various ways i have a I386 folder in windows ive found a link on microsoft site about using 6 floppys but are unsure weather i would loose any of my data there is also a command 'cmdcons' but im just unsure what this would do, recently a friend has had trouble booting up his pc & he hasent got a xp cd like myself, there is a virus in the wild that is affecting the MBR master boot record, any advice would be great also advice from users who have installed recov cons without a xp cd would be helpfull. :thumbsup:

xp home sp2
sygate
kaspersky
spywareblaster

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 V e g e t a

V e g e t a

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 03:49 PM

Not too sure...prehaps this will help?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

Myself, i burned the I386 to disc and made it bootable.

#3 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:43 PM

Hi snakedoctor,

Read your post, sorry I don't have an answer for you as I am trying to solve the same problem.

Hi V e g e t a,

I saw your reply, would you mind telling me how burning the I386 folder to disk and making it bootable helps?

Thanks,

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:01 PM

Hi there snakedoctor! Welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

You can download a program from Microsoft which will create 6 floppy disks. These are the XP Setup boot disks. They contain the beginning of the XP installer program plus the recovery console. You can download the program from here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994/en-us

Alternatively, you can download this: http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/Tools/boot.../xp_rec_con.zip

It's a CD image made from the floppy disks I mentioned above. You can use it if, for example, your computer doesn't have a CD drive.

The download from Microsoft will automagically make the floppies for you (you just need to insert a disk when it asks) whereas the CD image will need to be burned to a CD using a third party program that can burn ISO images, like ISOrecorder.

#5 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:45 PM

Hi Amazing Andrew,

I tried that link for the ISO thingy and got the dreaded "Not Found
The requested URL /windowsxp/Tools/bootdiscs/xp_rec_con.zip was not found on this server." message.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 12:50 AM

Hi Amazing Andrew,

I tried that link for the ISO thingy and got the dreaded "Not Found
The requested URL /windowsxp/Tools/bootdiscs/xp_rec_con.zip was not found on this server." message.

Wendy

Sorry, minor capitalization problem: http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/tools/boot.../xp_rec_con.zip

#7 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 01:24 AM

Hi Amazing Andrew,

Yeah... go me! Thanks, that one worked and I got it, now all I have to do is turn it into an ISO CD thing.

Thanks again.

Wendy

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 03:58 AM

The ISORecorder I mentioned earlier is an excellent way to burn ISO files. Just install it and right-click on an ISO file, then select "Burn To CD". It's ultralight and integrates right into Windows. Plus, it's free.

#9 V e g e t a

V e g e t a

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 09:06 AM

I'm 14 so sorry if my language makes no sence.
Ok,
I used Power2Go To burn the entire contents of the I386 folder to a DVD-R Disc. I then went on one of the options "make bootable" and chose the only 1 folder that was displayed on the "open screen" in the "I386" Folder.
I then went into system BIOS, boot from CD, put disc in, restart, Voila!

Hope I Helped ^_^

#10 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 02:36 AM

Hi Amazing Andrew,

Thanks for the link to that burner program. I already have a couple of ISO burners but I'll give that one a go too. I do, however, have a question about the file that I downloaded. That sucker is a .zip file am I supposed to extract everything to its own folder and then burn it to a CD? I mean I can't just right click and click Burn ISO like it is.

Hi V e g e t a,

Only 14 huh? Well you're a smart little bugger for your age. I like your idea too. I'll give that a try as well, Thanks for sharing it with everyone Boo.

♥ Wendy

#11 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 03:12 AM

Extract it first

#12 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 03:23 AM

Hi Amazing Andrew,

Thanks... I'm off to make an ISO.

Wendy

#13 snakedoctor

snakedoctor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:59 AM

Hi Wendy & V e g e t a thanks for your info, & thank you Amazing Andrew for the welcome & the recov console iso, bleeping computor has been very helpfull in my training with the extensive databases & tutorials crackin site.
in nero i can burn iso or make a bootable cd which one would i go for andrew?. as well as the disc i want to add recovery console as a start up option installed on the harddrive, ive found this command D=dvd drive [ 'D:\I386\WINNT32.EXE /cmdcons' ] at http://www.theeldergeek.com/recovery_console.htm when used with the xp cd starts the recovery console so the command for me as i dont have the xp cd would be [ 'C:\WINDOWS\I386\WINNT32.EXE /cmdcons' ] before i do this im going to do a bit more reading just to make sure, theres alot of info out there i would advise everyone to install recovery console on the harddrive for peace of mind in the recovery console envoiroment you can Write a new boot sector to a selected partition,Repair the Master Boot Record (MBR),Check a disk for errors,Delete files Rename files,Manage disk partitions. typing help will Display a list of all Recovery Console commands. malware is getting advanced there are viruses,rootkits that trash the mbr so the recov con would alow you to get back into windows to recover all your data.
:thumbsup:

xp home sp2
[protection]
sygate
kaspersky :flowers:
spywareblaster
[scanners]
avg antispy
superantispyware

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users