Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello From Another Paranoid Internet Security Buff.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Stheno

Stheno

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 07:56 AM

Hiya all,

Nice to see a forum exists that helps shed the light on how dangerous the lack of knowledge can be on the internet.

I look forward to getting tips and giving tips in time here.

In my many years of computer tech work I have been called too paranoid and over cautious by many, including a boss/partner in a computer retail shop.

Ironically he was a retired Psychologist.. His favorite quote which ended up being mine also was "Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you!!"

Well I used to use that against him every time we got a computer in with oh around 100+ viruses and malware/spyware. (and most of the time these computers also had torrent, p2p, warez on them. Along with online banking in the browser history with even SAVED passwords for said banking) Thats some scary stuff there.

Over the course of the past 5 years he finally believes me and well he now runs a 3 level firewall with multiple spyware scanners.

2 hardware firewalls (WAN->LAN->SUBLAN->computers)
1 software firewall on each computer.

If I can convince and help a boss that was stubborn and mildly ignorant and in denial about how ruthless the internet underbelly is....maybe I can help here too :-)

Anyhoot, good to be here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:10 AM

Hi, Stheno.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

We appreciate all of the help we can get. :thumbsup:

Please take the time, to browse the New User Orientation forum, to help familiarize yourself with how the board works.
If you have any questions about how to use this site, this forum will probably answer them.

Also, don't forget to check out the Tutorials.
There's a lot of very useful information, in there.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users