Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Delete Empty Folder In Windows Xp

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 lilac

lilac

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:17 AM

I have a folder on my external hard drive (where I keep all my music files) that will not be deleted. Originally it contained a music album, but when I tried to copy it, I found I couldn't. I then took the mp3 files from this folder and placed them in a new folder. Then I tried to delete the empty folder, but it simply will not delete. If I place my cursor up to the empty folder name, it tells me it contains 16.5GB...when in fact it contains nothing at all. I have tried delete on boot, but it doesn't work...presumably because this is a folder, not a file. I must have copied this on to the external hard drive at some stage, but it won't allow any movement now. The error message says " Cannot delete BBBBBBBB.BBB: Access is denied." ( This is not the name of the folder, and I can still change the name)
I would really appreciate some help!

Edited by lilac, 08 February 2008 - 06:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:36 AM

Since it says "Access Denied" you probably need to take ownership of it, HERE is a link telling you how to do that. You might need to do it in safe mode... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 07:04 AM

I think Wildabeast has given sound advice, but I just wanted to add that you simply might try deleting the folder while in safe mode. This might work. Sometimes access is denied because the ccomputer thinks the folder is being used by a program. When you mentioned that this is a folder where you stored music, you probably played music from this location. While music is playing you would not be able to delete or change the folder in any way. Your computer still thinks it is being used. Booting into safe mode by pressing the F8 key while booting up may 'break' this connection and allow you to delete the folder normally.

Worth a try.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 lilac

lilac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:37 AM

Thank you so much for the advice...I am working on it...no joy at the moment, but it takes some people longer to grasp! :thumbsup: When I succeed in deleting this folder, I will return.

#5 lilac

lilac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:42 AM

p.s. I have tried deleting in safe mode...no joy I'm afraid...and as the folder is empty, there is no music to play!
Thanks again. :thumbsup:

#6 snakedoctor

snakedoctor

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:49 AM

Hi lilac this is what i use when i get the annoying message 'connot delete used by another process' http://www.filehippo.com/download_unlocker/ its a nice little app just right click on the folder that wont delete choose unlocker that will show you what process has locked the folder then just click unlock now you can delete the file come back for more help :thumbsup:

#7 lilac

lilac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:51 AM

Thank you snakedoctor. I have just tried your suggestion, it says it can't delete...no handles...then said could delete on boot...tried, but unfortunately it is still there! Thanks again. :thumbsup:

#8 D_Vincent

D_Vincent

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:06 AM

Not to get off topic however I just read this thread because I have an old superantispyware folder that wouldnt delete for some reason however I just downloaded unlocker and followed the steps and it is gone and deleted now.

:thumbsup:

Edited by D_Vincent, 08 February 2008 - 11:08 AM.

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,318 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:23 AM

Hello D_Vincent,

I'm glad you got one solved. As for the other, have you checked the properties? Right click on the folder then click on properties. Look at the little box by read only, if it isn't clear white then click on it so that it no longer is read only, then try to delete it.

If that doesn't work, try renaming the file and deleting; and if it's still there then try renaming then moving and deleting.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 53,896 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:35 AM

Assuming that you have XP Home, there is a roundabout way of changing the permissions on that folder/file (or any other file/folder).

How Do I See the Security tab in XP Home (Doug Knox) - http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_home_sectab.htm

How To See the Security Tab in XP Home - http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/windo...-Tab-in-XP-Home

Once the Security Tab is in place, you can just change the permissions by following the procedures discussed in the links. Changing permissions will allow you to delete, move, etc.

Louis

#11 lilac

lilac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:47 AM

I have just tried Orange Blossoms suggestion...didn't delete, but thanks.

I have Windows XP Professional, so thanks to Louis also, I should have said earlier.

#12 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:18 PM

Hi lilac, Sorry to hear about your problem.

I've had that happen a time or two and I got mad and used something called "Pocket Killbox.exe" to kill the folder or file that wouldn't let me delete it. SpyBot Search&Destroy also has a nifty little shredder thingy that will take care of stubborn stuff too.

Oh, have you bothered to scan that empty folder with your virus scanner? You might also want to try setting the folder options to 'show hidden files and folders' then take a look in that folder to see if anything appeared that's not supposed to be there. I don't know if that would help or not, but I don't think it would hurt anything.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 53,896 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 08:16 AM

Another tool (that I use for various purposes) which can eliminate files/folders which won't disappear normally: jv16 PowerTools - http://www.macecraft.com/jv16powertools2006/

Before using a tool like this, please read all instructions. This tool provides a number of different functions and attempting to do something by using the wrong function...will definitely result in the unexpected/unwanted.

Earlier versions of this tool are available at various sites (free), if one does not want to download/install the trial version.

Louis

#14 lilac

lilac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 08:38 AM

Hello Wendy,
I am most grateful for your help, I have tried all your suggestions.....well now I've opened a can of worms!
I have SpyBot installed, I have never gone from the default mode before, but I found the shredder. I dragged in the folder and it says it is shredded...but it is still there!
I had already scanned for a virus, and with SpyBot, but had omitted to look for hidden files. It contains 16...all the same.
I have downloaded the KillBox.exe as suggested, but it hasn't deleted the folder or hidden files. The message reads "This file does not seem to exist"

Thanks for your help, and if you can help me further, I would appreciate it.

lilac :thumbsup:

Edited by lilac, 09 February 2008 - 01:49 PM.

#15 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,318 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 03:20 PM

Hello Lilac,

Have you tried rebooting the computer to see if the file will go away now that you shredded it with Spybot?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users