Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Ym, Downloading Etc.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 q28

q28

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 05:43 AM

hello everyone, just want to ask something regarding internet, my friend just bought a new laptop and already have an internet connection, he don`t have any problem browsing the net except connecting to yahoo messenger or some online gaming and he also can`t download mp3 using limewire, but he can watch anything like in youtube. at first we thought the problem maybe it`s in his computer, so i brought it in my house and tried it, but i easily get connected to YM and some online games and i can download mp3 also, so i believed the problem isn`t on his laptop.
where or what do you think is the possible cause of it? is it possible that his internet provider is blocking something with his connection? that`s why he can connect to internet but can`t access to YM or any file sharing related.
thank you in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rongchaua

rongchaua

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:02 AM

I think your friend stands behind a proxy server. Hence he can not connect his program to Internet.

Posted Image

#3 q28

q28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:44 AM

how can we fix that?

#4 q28

q28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 04:43 AM

hi Rongchaua, how can we fix that? we should we do? thanks

#5 q28

q28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 03:30 AM

hi someone can help us here, i gladly appreciate it!

#6 q28

q28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 08:52 PM

anyone?

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,719 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 11:21 PM

Hello q28 and welcome to BC :flowers:

I wish to clarify something:

at first we thought the problem maybe it`s in his computer, so i brought it in my house and tried it, but i easily get connected to YM and some online games and i can download mp3 also,

When you say that you easily connected to YM etc., was that with his computer at your house?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 q28

q28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:33 AM

Thanks for replyin Orangeblossom,

Yes it is. how can we get rid of the proxy server thing?

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,719 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:02 PM

Hello q28,

Since your friend's laptop connects fine at your house, I doubt the issue is related to using a proxy server. It is more likely that indeed his ISP is blocking those sites.

What is your friend's ISP?

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#10 q28

q28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 11:09 PM

his ISP is PLALA, I checked out their site http://www.plala.or.jp/ , unfortunatly it`s all japanese written, is there any solution or any adjustment that we could do about it? thanks

#11 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,719 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 11:25 PM

Hello q28,

I'm checking to see if anyone here is familiar with that ISP and thus their policies.

Orange Blossom

#12 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,719 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2008 - 12:57 PM

Hello q28,

I have another question for you. Do you use the same ISP as your friend, or do you use a different one?

IF the ISP has set policies blocking that content, then no there is no way to change that. If it could be done, doing so would be a violation of the ISP's security policy. At the University, where I used to have an account and which was my former ISP, such action would result in suspension of all accounts and losing all internet service with them. That would be if there were no negative consequences as a result of the violation. If there were negative consequences, there would be legal action taken against the violator.

Further, BC Rules state:

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures.

That said, we have not yet determined if ISP policy is responsible.

Orange Blossom

#13 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2008 - 12:52 AM

Apparently they are:

Japanese ISP Applies Service Control Solutions for Secure Broadband Services

#14 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,719 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2008 - 01:12 AM

Many thanks for that link hillbillygreek. The information provided is very informative and enlightening.

So, q28, your friend will have to do without 1) Limeware - which is P2P and a major source of infections for a number of users because the big, bad, wolves target P2P networks because they are very popular - 2) instant messaging - which is what YM is and also targeted by the big, bad, wolves and for the same reason - and 3) online gaming sites - also targets for big, bad, wolves. It was for this reason that BC no longer has the game arcade; keeping it secure and malware free was taking up too much time: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/57998/bc-fun-and-games-is-no-longer-available/ .

Orange Blossom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users