Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just Some Slight Help Here With Installing Old Hdd In New Computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 PC GEEK

PC GEEK

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 02:47 AM

Well...finally my PSU in my old dell crapped out, but I don't use it that often anyways. However, I have some of MY music files, like stuff that I recorded, on the HDD....so, long story short, took the HDD out of the Dell (PATA) and put it into my newer machine on cable select...the HD works just fine, but my documents folder keeps saying access denied..can't copy, can't open!..it's probably because XP realizes it was from another build, but is there anyway to access that folder?....otherwise I'm going to have to go put it back in my Dell, pray that the PSU works while I transfer over my home network, and then go from there, but I'd like if at all possible, NOT to have to do that. Anywho "that's my story and I'm stickin to it" ha

Thanks guys
Zac

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:35 AM

When you moved the HD to another computer Window$ saw that it came from somewhere else and locked you out, basically speaking. So it sounds like you need to take ownership of the folders, files, on the drive. HERE is a link telling you how to do it. You might have to do this in safe mode... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users