Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updating Program Question?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 skyfuser

skyfuser

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:35 AM

Used Filehippo's beta update checker. I downloaded the installation .exe files, and started to install. Among my list of things are MediaMonkey, CCleaner, Recuva, WinPatrol, Spybot SD 1.52, etc...
I know that CCleaner and Recuva said that the programs don't need to be uninstalled. But for the big files like Spybot S&D and MediaMonkey, there wasn't anywhere that said whether I needed to uninstall the old version and install the new version. I'm concerned that if I don't uninstall and the new install "overwrites" the old data, there will be a big chunk of used hard drive that can't be cleared up.
So, for normal programs, do I do a simple run of the installation without removing the old version or do I uninstall and install new version?
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 08:48 AM

Hi skyfuser.
I always favor uninstall old-reinstall new.
However there is nothing set in stone. It is possible you may lose something you can't get back if you uninstall first.
In the case of spybot, it really doesn't matter. First thing you want to do after install\upgrade is to check for updates anyways. Any custom settings you have made you will have to re-set.
As far as mediamonkey is concerned (never used it), you may lose playlists, .ini files, registration info, etc, in an uninstall.
Bottom line.....do some homework first. MediaMonkey Support.

I'm concerned that if I don't uninstall and the new install "overwrites" the old data, there will be a big chunk of used hard drive that can't be cleared up.

That happens less frequently these days. A well written upgrade will only add new\ upgrade old files where they are required.

Edited by HitSquad, 08 February 2008 - 08:49 AM.

#3 skyfuser

skyfuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:15 PM

Ah, thanks. For every new exe update I try to find support and see what they say. Apparently, this isn't a big issue. I usually uninstall and install the new one, but now it seems many programs need a reboot for the uninstallation to finish.
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users