Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compatibility Questions With Motherboards And Memory

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 candiapplekitti

candiapplekitti

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:28 AM

To start off, just know that I'm an intermediate user, so I hope what I've written makes sense.

I just purchased a 2GB kit of OCZ High Performance PC3200 dual-channel memory. Well, come to find out, my motherboard (K7N2 Delta-L) is incapable of supporting 1GB modules. Needless to say, I'm a bit frustrated. I was under the impression that it was able to support up to 3GB. But then I read on the MSI website that if I wanted to run 1GB, it would have to be made up of smaller amounts. Or at least that is what I interpreted from the "note."

Main Memory
Supports six memory banks using three 184-pin DDR DIMMs
Supports up to 3GB PC3200/2700/2100/1600 DDR SDRAMs
Supports both 64-bit and 128-bit DDR SDRAM
Note: nForce2 does NOT supports x4 memory device. 1GB can be made by other density of dram chip such as x 8, x16.
Due to the High Performance Memory design, motherboards or system configurations may or may not operate smoothly at the JEDEC (Joint Electron Device Engineering Council) standard settings (BIOS Default on the motherboard) such as DDR voltage, memory speeds and memory timing. Please confirm and adjust your memory setting in the BIOS accordingly for better system stability.

Wouldn't that technically be false advertising? Or am I just not understanding exactly what they are trying to say?

Anyways, I installed the memory and all my computer does is beep at me. Well, I don't want to go through the hassle of trying to return the memory because I kind of feel that it's my fault for not doing in depth research on my computer and it's compatibilities. Is there something I can do to get my computer to recognize the new installation? Or possibly is there simply a new motherboard I can purchase that will support the memory I just got along with my AMD Athlon 2500+ processor?

If more information is needed, just let me know what and I will provide it if it's neccessary to helping me figure this mess out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:44 AM

Your processor won't work in this board, but HERE is an inexpensive board and you can get the combo deal with processor for around $100, which isn't bad.... :thumbsup:

edit.. did a little searching for info

Edited by Wildabeast, 08 February 2008 - 04:48 AM.

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:59 AM

According to crucial your computer should see the 1 gig modules, but it's been my experience that a bios upgrade and proper bios settings may be necessary for it to run right

Are you sure your new memory doesn't take higher voltage?

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp...N2%20Delta-L%29
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 11:09 PM

This is the list of compatable memory from newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....%2DL&DEPA=0

#5 graeme22

graeme22

• Members