Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Adapter Driver Disappear

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Simla

Simla

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:51 PM

Win XP Pro

When I shut down the computer then restart, the external Seagate drive letter may or may not show up, and the wireless adapter driver disappears from the Network Adapter list (it also sometimes disappears during usage or suddenly shows up yellowed out)
If I try to reinstall the wireless adapter, Windows shoehorns in and installs it incorrectly as an USB device where it won't function.
The only way I've found to get the external drive letter to reappear and for the adapter to install properly is by:
Removing the wireless adapter from programs.
Shut down the computer
Unplug the external drive's USB cable and electrical connection.
Unplug the wireless USB adapter connection.
Unplug the computer and wait for at least 10 minutes.
I know this sounds crazy, but everything then installs and works properly until I shut down then on restart I'm back at square one again.
If I omit unplugging the computer, then as soon as it boots up, Windows reinstalls the wireless driver back under USB devices where it won't operate.
No virus present, no spyware, run chkdsk and scannow, tried a repair but no luck.Needless to say, this is driving me crazy.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:17 AM

Here's some inherent problems with usb and why contrary to popular belief, it had real issues.

Usb devices and the bus they run off of draw power from the motherboard, this power is limited by design to ~ 200milliamps total, next it's a shared resource, no matter how many channels it says you have they are shared. The biggest issue for me is that all usb is handled by the system/cpu. Usb is rejected for video capture due to it's weaknesses. Try to isolate your problem by eliminating some devices and see if it's a resource conflict or a power issue. Whoever claimed that you could hook up a 132 devices(or whatever) should have been shot. A powered hub helps.

Rarely I see a driver issue and that's when someone tries to load one, XP sp2 has it's own and that's one mess that MS has handled well.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 07:54 AM

I think I would take a look in Event Viewer, look for clues as to what the problem is and possibly how to correct it. I would look for 3-5 errors that approximate times when things go wrong on the system. I would post the results back here.

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

Louis

#4 Simla

Simla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 11:11 AM

Thanks, and of course to be perverse, nothing has occurred since I posted.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 01:14 PM

Whenever I'd respond to USB questions. I always gave the standard responses. Some times they worked and other time, not. Then my USB went bananas. Besides using an enclosure that has it's own power supply, as DaChew mentions, The simplest fix is an add-on USB card. It fixed all my problems in the 5 mins. it took to install it, plus they're cheap. Even USB Pcmcia cards are reasonably priced
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users