Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mozilla 1.6 Installation

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 13 April 2004 - 01:45 PM

Hi,
I recently installed Mozilla 1.6. I enabled the Quick Launch (SysTray) while installing but when I rebooted EZ Firewall (v. 3.7.179--which is actually ZoneAlarm Pro) would not auto start. The error message simply said that it had failed validation. Don't remember the exact order, but tried some things & wound up removing the Moz icon from SysTray & rebooting a couple of times & got the firewall back. Has anyone run across a similar problem? Did a search at the Mozallazine boards but had no luck. And, BTW, I did have the firewall, AV & TrojanHunter disabled before installing.

Now I would like to experiment with getting Quick Launch back in the system tray, but I can't find the correct setting in Preferences. When I go to Edit>Prefrences>Advanced--"Keep Mozilla in memory to improve startup performance" is not there. Nor is there any other settings option that has to do with QL in Advanced that I can see. :thumbsup: Anyone have any clues on this?

Running XP Home SP1a fully updated on a 1.8 Gig Celeron with 640 MB RAM on a T1840 EMachines. AV is Kaspersky Personal.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jongleur

jongleur

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2004 - 03:33 PM

If you have a desktop icon you should be able to right click the icon and select move to > system tray... something like that. :thumbsup:

I'm in Linux right now some I'm working from a not so good memory, but I also thank that you can click "Start" on the task bar, right click on the top of the start-up panel and a properities box should pop up. Click there and you get a panel for system tray icons and quick-launch icons. It's pretty self-explainatroy from there.

john p

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 13 April 2004 - 03:40 PM

I am completely unfamiliar with Mozilla 1.6, but use instead Mozilla Firefox 1.8 which is excellent.

You should give Firefox a try. Very quick and simple.

#4 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2004 - 06:36 PM

Grinler
You really should do a tutorial on Firefox browser and point out that it stops pop-ups,is not vulnerable to browser hijacking and also features ad-image blocking.Please let windows users know about this great browser.
Firefox

...a breath of fresh air... Microsoft should be worried.
    - FORBES

from the firefox main page

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,590 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2004 - 07:45 PM

Ya i love it. I will add it to my list. Unless anyone else would like to write one on it and get full credit :thumbsup:

#6 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,614 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2004 - 12:37 AM

This may be :thumbsup: but are ya'll interested in tutorials written by members? Is there a policy in place for this? Like how would one go about it--set it up by PM or email or just write it & post it? I have some ideas for a couple that I could write. Problem is don't know when I'll have time for them.

Now back on topic: Thanks for the input, Jon. But I don't think I'm set up for what you're talking about. If I understand correctly, what Mozilla is calling Quick Launch is not a regular shortcut--it's an option to be considered when installing that is supposed to speed up launching by pre-loading "parts of Mozilla when you boot Windows." It's also called "Turbo Mode". See this page to see what I'm talking about. Should probably just call it Turbo to avoid confusion--if it were just a matter of putting a shortcut in the Quick Launch bar I could handle that. The main problem is that I don't have an option in Prefenrences to toggle Turbo on & off & I'm wondering why it's not there. Guess I could post about it at Mozillazine, but I get the feeling they're just going to tell me to reinstall. Only reason I hesitate to do that is the deal with the firewall.

Grinler, I considered going with Firefox but I wanted another email client too so rather than download Firefox & Thunderbird, thought I'd go with the one installation. Are you saying that Firefox is simpler to set up than 1.6? Would the same hold true for Thunderbird?

Thanks for the responses.

The thing about people

is they change

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,590 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2004 - 01:04 AM

I guess it was somewhat unfair for me to compare Mozilla and firefox as I really do not have much experience with mozilla 1.6

I do know that firefox is a breeze to get going and is very quick with a ton of features.

Regardless which path you go, its better than IE, and no spyware is a bonus

I will write up info on tutorial submissions tomorrow...need to hit the sack.

#8 Wagonman

Wagonman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2004 - 10:39 PM

Hello.
I am using Netscape 7.1 and I do not have any trouble with the quick launch, and I have both a firewall and anti-virus running on my computer. WinXP Pro. I have considered downloading Mozilla 1.6 or Firefox browser. My question is can I download one of these browsers without having to uninstall NS7.1 because it is a very good and stable browser? Thanks.

Wagonman

#9 Guest_MrSnausage_*

Guest_MrSnausage_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 April 2004 - 12:33 AM

I know you can download Firefox and use it without affecting netscape. Just do not make it your default browser.

#10 jongleur

jongleur

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2004 - 10:58 AM

Wagon, be careful about running Mozilla and Netscape at the same time. What you need to do is set different user accounts. Change netscape from default user to some name. When you install mozilla, make sure you set a user account with a different name than netscape.

#11 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2004 - 10:50 AM

I checked MSconfig, since I too, disabled it on startup. The path listed is C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\Mozilla.exe"-turbo. Since 1.7 is just around the corner, you might want to wait a few weeks.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#12 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2004 - 10:55 AM

I have installed at least four, if not five versions of Mozilla, and have never had any of the versions conflict with Sygate Personal Firewall.
Cheers,
John

#13 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,614 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2004 - 02:03 AM

Hi John,
Thanks for the reply. Was hoping you'd see this.

Apparently my firewall doesn't conflict with the application, just the turbo mode. I didn't use msconfig to disable it--I right clicked on the systray icon and clicked something like "remove". There is not an entry, either checked or unchecked, for it in msconfig so I guess it was removed rather than disabled. I don't care that much about having something else in startup--just takes a fraction longer to get Moz going--but I thought I had the option to toggle Turbo thru Preferences & thought I would see if I my firewall would still be blocked by the presence of Turbo after Moz had been installed. But couldn't find the option that the help file said would be there that would put turbo back in the system tray. Does yours have that option in preferences? Or is it just me?

Yeah, won't be long til 1.7. Don't know if I'll have the time to play with it when it does come out, although I hear there are going to be some major changes. I'm still trying to learn all the features of 1.6 Guess it gives me a head start tho.

The thing about people

is they change

#14 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2004 - 08:00 AM

Papakid:
I thought you would like to know that there is a new user tutorial for Mozilla at:

http://mozmanual.mozdev.org/web/

and there is also a bi-weekly newsletter that you can sign up for at:

Newsletter@mozilla.org

The latest information I have seen indicates the final release of 1.7 will be the second week of June.

Regards,
John

#15 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2004 - 11:22 AM

Papakid
RE:quicklaunch
I found the following information by chance:
During installation, you have the option of enabling or disabling Quick Launch. If enabled, Quick Launch loads part of Mozilla into memory when your computer starts up (and each time Mozilla first starts up). Quick Launch keeps Mozilla in memory even after you close all Mozilla windows so you can quickly re-open Mozilla as needed. If your computer is low on memory, you may want to disable Quick Launch.

To enable Quick Launch:

Open the Edit menu and choose Preferences.

Choose Advanced category.

Select Keep Mozilla in memory to improve startup performance to enable Quick Launch.

Click OK.

To disable Quick Launch, right-click on the Mozilla icon in the system tray and choose "Disable Quick Launch" in the context menu.

From information on 1.7 versions:

http://www.mozilla.org/docs/end-user/guide...revious-mozilla

Regards,
John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users