Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help A Newbie Pick Out A Motherboard! (and Other Hardware)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sweryap

sweryap

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 07 February 2008 - 09:44 PM

Hey everyone, this is my first post. I enjoy message boards, am a member at a few...hoping this one is a good time too. Basically I am gathering components to build my first computer. So far I have purchased a case, a monitor and have decided on a processor. Now I have to pick out the rest. I guess my next step is the motherboard.

My goal for this computer is that it will be affordable, won't be used much for gaming (but would like to be able to have the option in the future...right now I haven't played a game on my PC since Age of Empires), and be fast at the start-up. I am doing my shopping at newegg.com.

So far I have:

SAMSUNG 2220WM Black 22" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor
RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WB Black SECC STEEL ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

and I have settled on this processor:
Intel Pentium E2180 Allendale 2.0GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819116052

I would like to be able to use my monitor as a TV and my friend has told me about this thing he has that will record to his hard drive and send TV to the monitor although I don't know what it is.

My next step is the motherboard I think...any suggestions? I would like to spend less than $100 on it and my main preference is stability. I am lost when I look at them, they are very confusing to me. If there is a motherboard with a decent built in graphics I would be open to spending a little more to replace the graphics card.

If you have the time to suggest to me other ideas to outfit the rest of my first homebuilt, that would be sweet too!

I look appreciate any advice you can give me and look forward to talking with ya'll!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:06 PM

i think the two most popular boards under 100 are the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L and the ABIT IP35E

Links
Abit

Gigabyte

Edited by Lucky23, 07 February 2008 - 11:07 PM.

Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 02:49 AM

Personally I like Gigabyte boards, I don't know if you can find a good board with built in graphics anymore, but you would still be better off buying a CARD, IMHO. As for watching TV, you will need a TV Capture card, simalar to THIS ONE.
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 sweryap

sweryap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:41 AM

i think the two most popular boards under 100 are the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L and the ABIT IP35E

Links
Abit

Gigabyte

Thanks for the help, I think I am going with the gigabyte board :thumbsup:

#5 sweryap

sweryap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:43 AM

Personally I like Gigabyte boards, I don't know if you can find a good board with built in graphics anymore, but you would still be better off buying a CARD, IMHO. As for watching TV, you will need a TV Capture card, simalar to THIS ONE.

Thanks for the links, I didn't know I could get a graphics card that cheap. What is your opinion of the Tv capture cards? i have heard the software is hard to use on them but don't have any first hand knowledge?

#6 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:39 AM

What is your opinion of the Tv capture cards?

I have one, unfortunately I can't use it since I have a grounding problem with my modem. But.. I have used one and watched TV while messing around on the computer. You can record to your hard drive, you can hook up a VCR and record to your hard drive, but not if it's copy protected. So say you have a video of your family, you can record that, convert it over to MP4 (I think that's it) and then burn it to DVD.. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users