Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware And Software Disasters

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 07 February 2008 - 07:55 PM

I started working on a friend/clients computer that had lost the power supply, he had other issues as well. He had tried to switch from aol dial up to broadband cable, when I got most of that mess cleaned up I could still not install my usb wireless adapter. The only way for me to hook it up to the internet. DrWebCureIt wouldn't install since I couldn't go online and register. I ran the atfcleaner then installed superantispyware and ran a scan, it found numerous malware infections and cleaned. The drivers then installed and I could get online. Then I ran spybot s and d, updated and scanned finding a lot more.
Mostly minor adware crud, nothing major. After registering cureit and running from safe mode it found one minor trojan in an aol download folder. TrojanHunter came up clean as did all other subsequent scans. I pretty much gutted his programs thru add and remove. I tried the online AV scanners reccomended here, not a one would work last night. The hijackthis log is very clean.

Looks like I will be running xp as a repair disk, I am pretty sure the active x component in IE6 is hosed? And maybe something else from deeper in the OS.

What I really need is an AV tool to use from safe mode or regular mode without being connected to the internet, some tools that could be loaded from a usb drive.

bart's bootcd came to mind but loading all those sata drivers is not an option
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:39 PM

Have you checked out Ultimate Boot CD?

You need the Ultimate Boot CD if you want to:

* Run floppy-based diagnostic tools from CDROM drives. More and more PCs are shipped without floppy drives these days, and it is such a royal pain when you need to run diagnostic tools on them.

* Free yourself from the slow loading speed of the floppy drive. Even if you do have a floppy drive, it is still much much faster to run your diagnostic tools from the CDROM drive, rather than wait for the tool to load from the floppy drive.

* Consolidate as many diagnostic tools as possible into one bootable CD. Wouldn't you like to avoid digging into the dusty box to look for the right floppy disk, but simply run them all from a single CD? Then the Ultimate Boot CD is for you!

* New! Run Ultimate Boot CD from your USB memory stick. A script on the CD prepares your USB memory stick so that it can be used on newer machines that supports booting from USB devices. You can access the same tools as you would from the CD version.

When you boot up from the CD, a text-based menu will be displayed, and you will be able to select the tool you want to run. The selected tool actually boots off a virtual floppy disk created in memory.

It includes F-Prot Antivirus for DOS, and McAfee Antivirus Scanner.

Edited by tg1911, 07 February 2008 - 08:42 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 07 February 2008 - 09:29 PM

I have used those in the past in the olden days of pata hard drives, very slow scanners in pio mode

There were a couple of years that sata controllers/bios's didn't support ide emulation and whatever boot media you use must have the sata drivers

forget raid stripes
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users