Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Hal.dll File, Other Problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ken Da Ninja

Ken Da Ninja

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 07 February 2008 - 07:30 PM

Okay, short and simple, I used Gparted to expand my NTFS partition from its modest 20GB to take over the newly deleted 30GB that was rendered useless after my dual boot exploits. So Gparted deleted the dead 30GB first partition, and then expanded my second partition (My Windows installation) to cover the newly freed space. After all this was done, I rebooted to everybody's favorite Missing hal.dll error. I tried using my Windows XP disc (with SP2 slipstreamed in) to expand the file on the disc to the drive, but it said that no file could be created. Next, I used http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproble...pairbootini.htm, and this left me with a choice of two Windows when I booted, the newly created one leads to the Windows Welcome screen, and it just stays there, with the mouse movable. The other options leads me to the beloved Missing hal.dll screen. Finally I used "fixboot", and this did nothing, with the two options still coming up and same results. (Safemode doesn't work either) So is there anything I can do? I really really really do not want to do a repair installation. I recently had to do one due to a messed up userinit.exe file, and the whole Windows updates process is just too tedious. I received a lot of help ask time, and I hope I can receive the same amount of help now. Thank you in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 07 February 2008 - 07:40 PM

I'd suggest running fixmbr from the Recovery Console also.

I'd also suggest investing in a disk imaging program. That way you can image your hard drive (when it's working correctly) and can restore the image when this sort of stuff happens. 20 minutes later you'll be up and running (and will have all the Windows Updates that you had when you made the image). I set up a brand new HP today with Windows XP SP2 on it - and it had 94 updates to install!

Edited by usasma, 07 February 2008 - 07:41 PM.
Imaging paragraph

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Ken Da Ninja

Ken Da Ninja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 07:47 PM

:\ MBR is always really risky...

And yeah, after the 100th time I messed up my laptop, I decided to start backing up. However, this only lasted so long before I got lazy and ran out of space on my small partition.

I wish I haven't deleted my back up registry... I hate how simple programs such as IE and Windows Media Player get wiped by a repair install! Thank god I saved the little batch file that allows updates to work again...

So yeah, I'm hoping to see a few more comments before I either risk a MBR or take the time for a Windows repair install.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:27 PM

With a hal.dll you don't have many options other than those already suggested
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Ken Da Ninja

Ken Da Ninja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:52 PM

Okay, I did a Windows Repair. Bad thing? I accidently hit the cd drive with my foot (Laptop, watching a movie on the other comp) and the Windows disc came out at the 25 minute mark. It has been 36 minutes since then, and it's hanging at 25 minutes. I even reopened the disc drive and pushed it back in. It's stuck! What should I do? If I force a shutdown, what would happen?

Edit:

The time now says 14 minutes... and done... Thank you guys for the support. This was not the way I wanted to go out (It's like my 100th time).

Cheers to an hour or so of downloading and installing Windows Updates!

(And I'll most likely be back in a week or so when I mess up my laptop, again)

And... Looks like things turned bad!

Well, after the reboot after the reinstallation, the laptop hanged when Windows was trying to run the setting up thing (the screen gets all small and the little F1 help bubble thing shows) I manually shut it down and now my C drive (main drive) is now the D drive, and my cd drive is F. Is there anything I can do to rename the drive?

Edited by Ken Da Ninja, 07 February 2008 - 09:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users