Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Contact Administrator

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mstats

mstats

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 07 February 2008 - 06:30 PM

I don't seem to be able to access anything such as the control panel,or the security sweet. I always get a message telling me This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions on this computer. please contact the admistrator. I am logged in as owner and there is no way to log in as the administrator. Any suggestions? I've tried to log in as something else but all their is is my owner status.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 07 February 2008 - 09:02 PM

Why can't you log in as an administrator? What are you trying to do that you are getting the error message? Usually that message comes from trying to change system settings without permissions, or installing something without permissions. Is this your system?

#3 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:31 AM

Hi mstats,

If you're using Windows XP you might try going into Safe Mode and seeing if you can get to your control panel from there.

Q: How long have you been using the user account named "Owner"?
Q: Have you EVER been able to access the control panel or security suite to make changes from that account?
Q: All of what groovicus asked too.

♥ Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#4 mstats

mstats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 02:25 PM

I've been using owner as long as I've had the computer, I think. My computer was offline for two years. I was able to access the control panel and security suite at one time.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 04:01 PM

How to login as Administrator in Windows XP - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/admins.htm

PC Hell How to Start Windows in Safe Mode - http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml

Your Owner account should be the Admin account, mine is set up that way (XP Home, SP2).

Sometimes things go wrong, not just with Windows but with everything :thumbsup:.

Louis

#6 mstats

mstats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 06:31 PM

I can log on as administrator in safe mode. I ran a virus and spyware scan with verizon security suite in safe mode. I can access the control panel i safe mode and I made changes, but when I restart in normal mode I still can't access the control panel and I'm the owner not the administrator. My backround is in recovery mode and when I click the button that say's Restore my active desktpo I get a script error message.

#7 mstats

mstats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 06:34 PM

Also, this is my system, I paid for it and that's what's so fustrating. How can I own the computer and not be the administrator?

#8 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 06:44 PM

Just trying to figure out your problem.

I can access the control panel i safe mode and I made changes

What changes?

What do you mean by 'I'm the owner not the administrator'? Since you own the computer, aren't you also the administrator?! Are there any other accounts on the computer? Do they have administrator privileges?

Have you checked the links provided and whether they were of any help?

Also, providing the exact script error message might help the experts see what problems you are experiencing.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:05 PM

I suggest turning off Active Desktop.

I haven't tried it in some time but I recall it creating problems every time that I did try it.

I suspect that the true problem is file corruption of varying kinds and would suggest either running sfc /scannow or a repair install of XP.

Sounds like your permissions are all goofy...the quick fix would be a repair install of XP, IMO.

Maybe someone else will have a better idea :thumbsup:.

Louis

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:14 PM

Did the antivirus scan find anything? Did it give you any error messages. I strongly suspect a virus (as most of the Active Desktop issues that I have seen have been related to malware - and the other issues are common with malware also).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 02:24 AM

Hi mstats,

you said

I can log on as administrator in safe mode.

Tell me, when you go into safe mode are there two accounts there for you to choose from to login on... one named "Administrator" and one named "Owner"?

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users