Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copied Home Video Vhsc To Dvd-r - Won't Load On Pc So I Can Edit

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 abccrosby

abccrosby

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 07 February 2008 - 03:07 PM

I used my Panasonic AV228 video camera to make a home movie. It records on to VHC-S tapes. I hooked my video camera to my DVD player and recorded the movie on to a DVD-R. I can play it on my DVD player with no problem. I need to edit the DVD though and then make copies to give to family members. My PC (uses Vista) won't even recognize that there is something on the DVD. It treats it as if it was blank. I have also tried to pull it up on my daughters PC (uses XP) - it also treats it as a blank cd.

I have used Roxio, Nero, VLC, DVD flick,and of course Windows media player, and it either doesn't recognize the dvd at all or it gives me a message saying that it cant open it because it is in the wrong format. I don't know how to find out what format this dvd is in. I need to find something to open it so that it can be saved on to my hard drive for editing.

Any ideas?
:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 07 February 2008 - 03:19 PM

have you finalized the disk in the standalone recorder?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 abccrosby

abccrosby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 04:29 PM

The camcorder records on to VHC-S tapes. There is no way to finalize those. You just put them in an adapter to play in your VCR. I connected the camera directly to my dvd-r player/recorder and put the movie on to a dvd-r. And yes, the dv-r player finalized the dvd. I can't connect my camcorder directly to my laptop because the connections are different. The connections coming from my camcorder are the white and yellow plugs. The only connection that my pc has are the s-video connection and usb. :flowers:

So now the only thing I know to do is to try to get my pc to recognize the dvd and record it onto my hard drive so I can edit it. :thumbsup:

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 05:56 PM

the old camcorders use vhs-c, that's irrelevant to the problem

what mode are you recording in on your dvd recorder(player)?

made and model number of the dvd recorder?

what is the laptop exactly?

I do mod over at a digital video forum and have seen a few of these posts before, we mostly deal with newer mini dv cams and firewire enbled computers for capture

Edited by DaChew, 07 February 2008 - 05:59 PM.

Chewy

#5 abccrosby

abccrosby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 06:53 PM

I recorded off of the VHS-C on to the Accurian ADR-3223 DVR using SLP mode.

I didn't mention before, but a few months ago I did the same thing using my sisters Camcorder. She has a new Sony that records on to the little discs. I was able to hook her camcorder up to the same DVR recorder and record directly on to a DVD. I could play it on the DVD player AND my laptop.

I am assuming that my laptop recognizes the format that her camcorder records in and doesn't recognize the format that my camcorder records in.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 07:13 PM

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdrecorders?DVDn...p;Search=Search

are you using the same blanks?

have you checked the burned disks in another computer?

camcorder format should be irrelevant, passing an analog video signal?

see where you tried it on your daughters computer?

do the disks play on a standard dvd player?

Edited by DaChew, 07 February 2008 - 07:17 PM.

Chewy

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 07:32 PM

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/3/374328

that unit does not seem to like some disks?
Chewy

#8 abccrosby

abccrosby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:15 PM

I'm using the same discs out of the same box. I recorded 2 of them just to make sure it wasn't the disc. It will not play in any of the 4 computers that I have tried it on. It also will not play in a standard DVD player. The only thing I can get it to play in is the DVD recorder that it was originally recorded in.

On the other hand, the disc that I recorded directly off of my sisters camcorder plays in all of the computers and standard dvd players that I have tried it in.

I haven't had any trouble at all out of the DVD recorder. It has always played and recorded to any thing that I have put into it.

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 09:13 PM

I skimmed your manual and by all indication the disks haven't been finalized, I could see no reference to setting the recording to dvd video instead of dvd vr mode?

download and install this program on your computer, one with a dvd burner I would assume

http://www.imgburn.com/

In read mode the disk should show the pertinent information in the right hand screen like this

BENQ DVD DD DW1650 BCIC (ATA)
Current Profile: DVD+R

Disc Information:
Erasable: No
Sessions: 1
Sectors: 2,135,712
Size: 4,373,938,176 bytes
Time: 474:38:12 (MM:SS:FF)

TOC Information:
Session 1...
-> Track 01 (Mode 1, LBA: 0 - 2135711)
-> LeadOut (LBA: 2135712)

Physical Format Information (ADIP):
Disc ID: CMC MAG-M01-00
Book Type: DVD+R
Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 1
Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,491,711
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
Disc ID: CMC MAG-M01-00
Book Type: DVD-ROMPart Version: 1
Disc Size: 120mm

this is a proper dvd video
Chewy

#10 abccrosby

abccrosby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:44 PM

Okay, you were right, IMGburn showed me that the disc was not finalized after all. I went through the menu's on my dvdr and found out where to finalize it. When I put it into my laptop I got the message:

Audio format is not supported by the current application. Would you like to playback with Acer Arcade? I have an Acer Aspire 5050 laptop.

Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatable DVD decoder is not installed on your computer.

It would play on Acer Arcade. And it does play on a standard DVD - Yay!!! Thank you!! :flowers:

What can I do to make the audio compatable?

Any ideas on the easiest way to edit this movie once I load it onto my computer? I have some parts that I want to cut out because they are shaky. I would also like to make it kind of fancy looking with a title page, etc. :thumbsup:

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:58 PM

Loading a computer for video editing is a lot like gaming, rocket science, mountaineering and brain surgery.

Like analyzing a hijackthis log, it's best approached after a long course of study.

Here's a good place to start, this is not a user friendly field and will take many many hours of hard work.

http://www.videohelp.com/guides

to do it right I would suggest at least $10K in software and hardware and about a year of study and practise

Edited by DaChew, 07 February 2008 - 11:00 PM.

Chewy

#12 abccrosby

abccrosby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:34 AM

Thanks, I never was good at Rocket Science....., but I will start studying - I intend to do it, and to do a good job at it - no matter how many hours it takes. Don't know where I'll get the 10K though!! :thumbsup:

What about the message that I get about the audio not being compatible? How do I convert the format so that I can play it in Windows Media Player?

Thank you so much...

#13 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:22 PM

windows media player 10 and ffdshow pretty much got my windows xp computer up and running
playing video files/disks

I had a copy of powerdvd that came with one of my burners for playing factory dvd's

Avoid media player 11, it's a resource hog and better left to newer vista computers

make sure you get the later versions of ffdshow

google is your friend, learn how to use it
Chewy

#14 abccrosby

abccrosby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:52 PM

Chewy, just to let you and other readers know...... I downloaded a 60 day free trial of Ulead Video Studio 11 and was able to edit my videos with ease - once I figured it out! It lets you seperate the video from the audio, record seperate audio (your voice if you want to narrate), take out scenes, add scenes, add titles, music and captions. They turned out great! My 60 days are up and I am going to purchase it - it runs about $80. When googling a video editing review it was in the top 3.

Thank you so much for your help! :thumbsup:

#15 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:23 AM

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/

this one is only 800$

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/produc...uct.asp?pid=457

and this one's only 550$

add a new cam for $7500

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-XL-H1-Professi...r/dp/B000V5GR2Y

and then we would need to build a new computer with the spare change from our 10K

I guess they wouldn't be called home movies anymore
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users