Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Boot Windows On Dell Laptop

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 gotdimps

gotdimps

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 07 February 2008 - 01:45 PM

I start my dell laptop, I get the dell loading screen and then a black screen with a blinking cursor. I can access F2 and F12 but cannot get into F8 because windows just won't even boot up. However, if I put the dell diagnostic drivers disc in and go to the F12 option and boot from cd, it will boot, run all the diagnostic tests, which all have passed, and that's it. It won't boot the windows cd or any other cd for that matter. I can get into the BIOS and run the tests internally, and again, all pass, and that's it. That is all I can do. My laptop is no longer under warranty. I have no drive for a floppy disc to make a bootable windows disc. I don't know what else to do. I simply cannot afford to trash the hard drive or anything for that matter. Can someone please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,840 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 07 February 2008 - 01:52 PM

The old black screen with blinking cursor...that's an easy one :thumbsup:.

Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

You need to get to the Recovery Console and run the fixmbr command.

Type in the number (1) on the line where it asks which install you want to access.

At the password prompt in the Recovery Console, just hit the Enter key. When the prompt reflects "C:\Windows, etc.", just type fixmbr and hit Enter/OK (whichever).

Warning comes up, reply affirmatively ("yes").

Exit (after command is done), reboot.

Louis

#3 gotdimps

gotdimps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 02:10 PM

How do i get to the recovery console? I followed your link. There's no disc in my drive, there's no slot for a bootable disc to insert along with windows cd, I also can't access safe mode, so what now?

Edited by gotdimps, 07 February 2008 - 02:18 PM.

#4 R4d30N

R4d30N

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 02:55 PM

You use the windows xp cd-rom to access the recovery console,you then run the cmd from there!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,840 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 03:06 PM

Additional info: http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp....very%20Console:

Click on the How To Access Recovery Console topic.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 07 February 2008 - 03:08 PM.

#6 gotdimps

gotdimps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 03:31 PM

I don't have a floppy drive to boot the windows cd. Can I access it from the black screen? What if I use a external floppy drive via usb port? Will that work as well?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,840 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 03:46 PM

The XP CD is bootable...I believe it says that, if you read that link.

Louis

#8 gotdimps

gotdimps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 04:37 PM

It doesn't boot! The only cd that runs in my laptop is the diagnostic drivers disc from dell. Other than that I absolutely cannot get the windows disc to boot. It starts to run and stops and I can't get past the black screen. I'm truely at a loss here. I almost need step by step diagram instructions. LoL. Ok not a diagram but step by step instructions probably.

Edited by gotdimps, 07 February 2008 - 04:45 PM.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 07 February 2008 - 05:07 PM

Is that the only CD that came with the Dell? It's possible you have a recovery partition Here's a guide on how to use it
http://support.dell.com/support/
If it came with a set of recovery disk and you can't find them you can get them online from Dell for a nominal fee. You will need the model number and the service tag on the back of the unit
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 syunichi

syunichi

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 07:15 PM

Hmmm..might be your setting for first boot is HDD0, that is your primary hard disk, not the cd-rom. Try changing it inside the BIOS config. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Tech Support: "Do you have any windows open right now?"
Customer: "Are you crazy woman, it's twenty below outside..."

#11 gotdimps

gotdimps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 08:24 AM

Ok so, I've gone into bios, I"ve switched the boot sequence numerous times: Nothing! I don't have a floppy drive so what I did was I put the NTL files on a usb jump drive and still nothing. I set up to boot from USB: nothing. I have no PC restore disc. Again, it will boot and run the diagnostic CD but that is the only one it will run. My windows XP cd simply will not boot up. It runs like it's going too, and then it just stops. So what then do I do if I can't even boot up the XP cd?

Edited by gotdimps, 08 February 2008 - 08:26 AM.

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:03 AM

Ok so, I've gone into bios, I"ve switched the boot sequence numerous times: Nothing! I don't have a floppy drive so what I did was I put the NTL files on a usb jump drive and still nothing. I set up to boot from USB: nothing. I have no PC restore disc. Again, it will boot and run the diagnostic CD but that is the only one it will run. My windows XP cd simply will not boot up. It runs like it's going too, and then it just stops. So what then do I do if I can't even boot up the XP cd?

If it boots to the one CD and not to the other, one can only assume the XP CD is scratched or damaged. Do you have any other type of bootable CD around, such as a live Linux CD?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#13 gotdimps

gotdimps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:17 PM

No no linux cd. And my xp cd is absolutely fine. no scratches at all and runs fine in the desktop. It just won't boot in the laptop.

Edited by gotdimps, 08 February 2008 - 02:06 PM.

#14 stricklins

stricklins

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 05:21 PM

No no linux cd. And my xp cd is absolutely fine. no scratches at all and runs fine in the desktop. It just won't boot in the laptop.

Ok is there anything else that comes up besides the dell screen then a black screen with a cursor? On start up the computer will show any errors. See if there are any if so post them here. Not having a floppy will limit the amount of help that can be provided. I would say right off that the hard drive and/or the controller has malfuctioned and your only hope is a new hard drive.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,840 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 05:43 PM

The problem is not a hard drive or any other computer hardware item...it's the fact that this person does not have a bootable XP CD to run the fixmbr command...from the Recovery Console.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users