Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Sata Hard Drive Problem.....

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mar5hy

mar5hy

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 07 February 2008 - 01:40 PM

I've taken my sata 120gb out of my laptop because it wouldn't boot up - disk READ error.

I've put it into a caddy then plugged it into a working laptop via usb.

I go into Disk management, the faulty drive has 3 partitions on it.

Please see link for a print screen of it

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/7476/dshm5.png

Recovery partition has the data on it, but it won't let me open it give it a drive letter???

Anyone got any ideas?

Edited by mar5hy, 07 February 2008 - 01:40 PM.

Brighton, UK

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 07 February 2008 - 02:08 PM

OK :thumbsup:.

Did you try assigning a temporary letter (e.g. Z) to it?

That's what I would do.

XP functions on drive-letter recognition (Disk Management and the BIOS don't, but My Computer/Explorer does). If no drive letter is reflected, a partition will be reflected in Disk Management...but it's not useable in Windows until it has a drive letter assigned.

And...if two partitions have the same letter assigned them (normally...e.g., you've attached a drive from another system with the same letter assigned as an already existing, attached drive on a second system), then you just need to (temporarily) assign a different letter to the second one to make it useable.

This isn't guaranteed to solve your situation, but I suggest you try it.

Louis

#3 mar5hy

mar5hy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 06:22 PM

OK :thumbsup:.

Did you try assigning a temporary letter (e.g. Z) to it?

That's what I would do.

XP functions on drive-letter recognition (Disk Management and the BIOS don't, but My Computer/Explorer does). If no drive letter is reflected, a partition will be reflected in Disk Management...but it's not useable in Windows until it has a drive letter assigned.

And...if two partitions have the same letter assigned them (normally...e.g., you've attached a drive from another system with the same letter assigned as an already existing, attached drive on a second system), then you just need to (temporarily) assign a different letter to the second one to make it useable.

This isn't guaranteed to solve your situation, but I suggest you try it.

Louis

the recovery partition won't let me assign a letter to it in disk managment? Is there another way?

See the link

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/4858/wontassignnm6.png
Brighton, UK

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:00 PM

Please notice that it says "Unknown partition" - that's because the maker of your computer has used a different method to make this partition. As such, Windows doesn't know what to do with it. Usually this is caused by the manufacturer of your system trying to prevent the Recovery partition from being used.

Also, since it is an "Unknown partition" your data won't be on it. This partition will contain the recovery files for your system, and will have to be accessed from your computer (either by pressing a key during bootup, or by inserting the proper recovery CD to start the program running).

Most likely the data will be in the X: partition (which is marked Healthy and Active). If you have difficulties accessing it there (access denied errors) see this link for more info: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/42756/how-to-fix-an-access-denied-errors/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 mar5hy

mar5hy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:50 AM

Thanks for the link usasma.

Has it got anything to do with the fact that I am trying to open a vista hard drive on an XP machine?
Brighton, UK

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 08:36 PM

I shouldn't think that that is the case - rather it's the way that the company formatted that partition, and Windows doesn't recognize that format.

There are ways around this - but they're complicated and require a lot of research on your part. I'd suggest starting with a google search for things like partition readers and the different types of partitions.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:33 PM

Double check with the computer mfg's support site. Dell has instructions on how to use theirs
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users