Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C C Cleaner Reg Issue

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Paulrenno

Paulrenno

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 07 February 2008 - 06:37 AM

I am new to C C CLeaner and have recently used the registry tool to delete reg entries. The programme asks if you want to do a back up which I selected to, which saves to My Documents. This file contains all the entries deleted, and ends with .reg.

I am told that if something happens, I can simply r/c on the icon and select MERGE. I have tried that as an experiment, and all it does is opens up all the entries in Wordpad.

My question is, how do you merge these entries back into the registry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 alumbagh

alumbagh

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 07 February 2008 - 06:50 AM

It could be a file association problem.
Right click on one of your .reg files choose "open with" and see what prog is listed as the one to open the file.
If it is Wordpad, go down to "choose a program", look for "registry cleaner", click on that and then click on "always use this program for this type of file" (or words to that effect, I've forgotten the exact wording).

See if that does the trick.

#3 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 07:26 AM

Thanks

I have r/clicked and selected open with - but the 'other' programmes listed have nothing to do with reg cleaning etc

the default is wordpad

according to a cc cleaner forum, it just says that once you select merge after r/clicking the reg icon, the files merge back into the registry, but its doing nothing.

#4 alumbagh

alumbagh

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 07:46 AM

OK, try this.

In My Documents go tools>folder options>file types.
There will be a short delay as the search torch waves to and fro. When the list of file types opens, which will be all of the file types you have on your machine, scroll down the list until you find REG and see what it shows as the default opener. If it shows Word/Wordpad click on the "change button" and from the list of progs that opens, click on "registry cleaner".

If that does not work, or if REG is not listed, whilst in the "file type" dialogue click on "new" and when that opens, put REG in the file type box and Registry Cleaner in the program box then clickOK your way back out.

If that does not work either, your download of ccleaner may be corrupt, in which case bin it and reinstall a fresh download.

#5 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:29 AM

Thanks. I looked in file types and found REG - says it opes up with Notepad. Tried to change, but I dont have 'registry cleaner' listed anywhere.

I was wondering if I could select 'import' in regedit and select the folder - what do you think?

#6 alumbagh

alumbagh

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:40 AM

"If that does not work, or if REG is not listed, whilst in the "file type" dialogue click on "new" and when that opens,type REG in the file type box and Registry Cleaner in the program box then clickOK your way back out."

Did you try that ?

Don't fiddle with the registry........that'a not where the problem lies.

#7 alumbagh

alumbagh

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:46 AM

Maybe I have misled you by talking of a program called Registry Cleaner.............I should be referring to "Registry Editor", but that is in the "open with" list and is not regedit, which is to be avoided for the purpose of sorting this problem.

#8 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:39 AM

Sorry about this.
I go into My Documents
click on Tools
Folder Options
File Types
scroll down to 'REG' in extension
says 'REG File' in File Types

below is 'Details for 'REG' extension
Opens with Notepad - next to that is a button named 'CHANGE' - when I press this it gives a list of Programmes to open up in, but there is no Registry Editor listed at all.

Am I doing something wrong?

Also, I am currently working on an XP machine whilst at work. The machine at home is Vista - are you working on Vista?

#9 alumbagh

alumbagh

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 12:30 PM

No, your not doing anything wrong, and yes I am on an XP machine.

It may well be that your ccleaner is corrupt in some way.
I would try a reinstall with a fresh download.
Ccleaner is well behaved, and a new install will recognise any previous cleaning backups that you made, and will link to them ok.

Sorry I can't offer any other help.

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,720 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 02:04 PM

Hello Paulrenno,

What is the file extension on the back-up file? It should say .reg.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users