Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless ICS connection using static IPs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 capetorio

capetorio

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 09 March 2005 - 10:45 AM

Hi all - my first post, so thanks in advance for any assistance you guys can provide!

I have the following home network;
1x laptop (Acer centrino with built-in wireless)
1x desktop (with PCI SMC wireless card) - this has an ISDN card for web connectivity.
1x Wireless SMC ethernet bridge/Access Point (AP)

...No ethernet cables are used to join any of the above.

Because the access point has a default IP of 192.168.2.25, I had a problem figuring out how to then enable ICS from the desktop - since this would give me an address of 192.168.0.1 - as per normal ICS setup.
My solution was to set the Access Point to have a static address of 192.168.0.100 and the laptop with a static address of 192.168.0.3
When I set up ICS on the desktop then, at least both laptop, access point and desktop would all be on the same IP range.

No probs so far - file sharing between the two PCs works perfectly and I can surf from the desktop computer.
...However, when I surf from the laptop, the pages come up blank!

Now for the strange part - and my reason for posting;
When I try to open a web page from the laptop, it cannot find the page - nor can I ping any external sites.
However, if I open the EXACT SAME web page from the desktop computer, the page opens on the desktop computer as per normal ....and if I then go back to the laptop and surf to the same page (with the desktop computer web page kept open), I get the web page on the laptop!!

huh?? Is this something to do with the fact that I've used static IPs in an ICS scenario? Has anyone else had this experience? I'm really stumped with this - going bald from scratching my head.

Any info would be highly appreciated!

Thanks again in anticipation!
Cheers,
kevin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 10 March 2005 - 12:20 AM

Its been a while. With the ICS setup you have two network cards each with a different ip address?

#3 robin

robin

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2005 - 07:39 AM

Sounds to me like the dns server address is missing on the laptop. Set the dns server on the laptop to the same ip as the ics computer.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2005 - 04:03 PM

DNS though would not cause it to work after the other machine tried it.

If you go to any page on the desktop, thereafter you can go to any page on the laptop?

#5 capetorio

capetorio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2005 - 06:39 AM

Hi - general reply to all; thank you for your feedback!

As far as DNS, I did actually try that as a last resort but made no difference.
Grinler: If you go to any page on the desktop, thereafter you can go to any page on the laptop?

...yes, this is exactly what's happening.
I'm going to the client on Tuesday to have a second look - I was thinking that perhaps an LMhost entry is causing this - any comments on that?

Kevin

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2005 - 01:09 PM

Nope I am pretty sure I know exactly what it is now from your last answer. ISDN is a dialup (regardless if its digital or not), so whats happening, when you go to a site via the laptop, ICS is not automatically starting the dialup of the isdn. Yet if you go to the web from the desktop its automatically starting the isdn, and therefore now the laptop can work.

You need to configure it, where i do not know, to dialup on any network activity so that the laptop can make the isdn dialup on its own. Just be careful as isdn here in NYC can be very expensive with usage charges if its on all day. Not sure how much it is out by you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users