Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why No Ads On Web Page?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Paulrenno

Paulrenno

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 07 February 2008 - 04:18 AM

You may think this strange, but on my xp pc at work, on www.nme.co.uk, all the banner ads are there - especially the one along the top. However my Vista laptop doesnt display this banner, or ads along right hand side. At first, didnt have Adobe Flash 9 but have since installed it, and do get some animated ads, but why doesnt the top banner work?

For security i probably wont amend anything, but I would really like to know that I have an option

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 07 February 2008 - 04:32 PM

What browser and version number are you using to view this page on each machine? And what are the security settings for each?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 03:49 AM

I am using Vista at home - this is the machine that doesnt include the ads

I am using Xp at work which does include them.

Both machines have ie7

How do i check the security settings please?

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:42 AM

Hello Paulrenno,

In IE, you would find the security settings under Internet Options.

In addition, there are security programs that can block ads. What security programs are installed on each machine? Are any set up to block ads, flash, scripts etc.?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:20 AM

I have ZoneAlarm Free on both machines

The one that it works on is xp and i use avg free anti virus

the vista one which it doesnt work on, does produce flash ads, but only some of others. On this machine i have spywareblaster/ spybot / superantispyware / windows defender and thats about it, but nothing else that switches off ads etc

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:44 AM

Hello Paulrenno,

I'd like to see if this is caused specifically by web-browser settings or something else. To do that, please download and install another web-browser such as Firefox. Then go to one of the websites that isn't displaying the ads and see if they are blocked in the other browser. If they aren't, we'll know it's something to do with your IE settings; if they are blocked, we'll know that it is something else installed on the computer.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:03 PM

Im at work at the moment, and will be leaving shortly for the weekend, but i will have a look at firefox over the weekend and post.

Perhaps you would have a look at this site in the meantime. its www.nme.com. Can you see the banner ad across the top? it is a gif i think. i can see it on this xp machine, but not on the vista.

Thanks for your trouble, and I will post back over weekend from home.

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:10 PM

Normally, I don't see banner ads including this one. I have ads blocked through several different security programs.

Orange Blossom

#9 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 06:44 AM

ive noticed some of these images i cannot see are gif. Does that mean anything?

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 02:37 PM

Hello Paulrenno,

Did you try Firefox to see if there were any difference in the ad display?

Orange Blossom

#11 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 05:42 AM

First of all, I apologise for the lengthy delays in getting back to you - it seems that I'm just shooting off home when its early afternoon for you. I think we're 5 hours in front of you in the UK.

Secondly, I didnt try Firefox - its my sons computer you see, and it wasnt fair me putting something on which he doesnt want.

I looked at nme.com site using the xp machine, and if i r/click on the banner, it mentions flash player 9. I have installed flash player 9 now onto the vista but there is still something blocking it. Maybe Vista is more security minded, i dont know. But i was wondering if there is a setting somewhere.

#12 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:16 AM

Secondly, I didn't try Firefox - it's my son's computer you see, and it wasn't fair me putting something on which he doesn't want.

I can understand that. If he is agreeable, you could always install it to just to see if the problem occurs with it, and immediately after testing, uninstall it again. There are so many possibilities of what might be responsible, and testing with FF would eliminate a number.

To completely uninstall Firefox, you will need to delete the Profile folder.

1. Uninstall Firefox from Add/Remove programs.

2. Set windows to show hidden files:
How to see hidden files in Windows

3. Navigate to:
C:\ Documents and Settings \ "your user name" \ Application Data \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Profiles

4. Delete the Profiles folder.

If you installed Talkback during custom install, navigate to C:\ Documents and Settings \ "your user name" \ Application Data \ Talkback \ MozillaOrg folder
Delete all Firefox[i](somenumber)
folders found, for example; "Firefox10", "Firefox15", and "Firefox2".

5. Now, navigate to:
C: \ Program Files \ Mozilla Firefox, and delete that folder.

6. Rehide the system folders.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 15 February 2008 - 09:44 AM.

Orange Blossom

#13 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:29 AM

installed firefox - worked

uninstalled and wnt back to ie7 and it wasnt there

#14 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 10:55 PM

Okay, that eliminates a number of possibilities. Now we know that whatever is blocking them is either connected with IE itself OR is a security program that specifically targets IE.

Next check. Go to Tools --> Manage Add-Ons --> Enable or Disable Add-ons

By Show there's a little window with an arrow by it. If you click on the arrow, you will see 4 options. Explore each and see if you find anything that looks like it might be an ad-blocking add-on and make a note of it. If you are unsure of anything, note those also. Post back with what you find.

Orange Blossom

#15 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2008 - 06:02 AM

That seems great. I didnt know that even existed. I am at work at present, but I will have a look at this over the weekend.
Thanks for that.
I will post on Monday

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users