Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free Diagnostics and repair and more

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cannybody22

cannybody22

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 09 March 2005 - 10:19 AM

Has anyone come across this programme.It scans the registry and gives a list of entries which can be safely deleted,those in which caution should be excercised and those which are dangerous to delete.It also provides a free virus scanner with automatic update and will report on hardware and just about everything else.I asked on Barney's place whether he knew of it and he said that it sounded too good to be true.He is not able to give the time to check it out and suggested I asked on a discussion site where there may be someone with a degree of expertise to check it out .So is there anyone there who knows the programme or who is willing and able to check it out.(There is an advanced form which can be purchased as well) :thumbsup:
Cannybody22

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 09 March 2005 - 10:52 AM

VCom Makes very good programs.

Their technical support says they are good. I have found different story in the case of "System Commander 6". i had a trial version that worked, then i purchased the Full Version from their site. the Full Version did not work! Technical support after many attempts told me to use a Cracked Version of their software. they even gave me the site to get it from!! (it was a warez site!!) Needless to say i no longer use System Commander on any my machines. and to top it all off they would not refund me.

However for $10 more i would suggest if you do go with this to get VCOM SystemSuite5. it includes Fix it Utilities and over 50 Tools also comes with PowerDesk 5, Recovery Commander, MailWasher Anti-Spam, GhostSurf privacy Control, NetDefense Firewall, VirusScanner Pro Antivirus, EasyUninstall, BootRepair Recovery, SecurErase Drive Erasure

#3 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2005 - 09:18 AM

in a E-mail

Thanks for the info.I wasn't sure whether you were saying that apart fom the poor programme you had the rest were O.K?
I looked at the system suite and it seems quite good.Have you any personal experience of it and if so would you recommend it?
I take it that I would have to uninstall Mcafee virus scanner and the Sygate firewall I use if I went for the Suite5.
It does look like the one stop shop I've been looking for if everything else is equal.
Again thanks for your help.
Cannybody22

The program isn't poor. (the customer service or lack there of was poor (In My Case)) the program was quite nice in the trial copy i had. just the Disk they sent me got messed up somehow or something. (was never found out what exactly went wrong) and its not that i heard the rest were OK. i have used other VCom Programs and have been very Pleased with them. they do make solid Programs and also update with the new technologies out there.

With SystemSuite i have had no personal experience. (i might be purchasing with my next paycheck however. I Liked what i read.)

I will not comment on McAfee as i don't support them and have a biased opinion on them. I've never used Sygate but i heard they are good. i think when/if you get SystemSuite you can make a decision to turn off one or the other.

Yes from reading the site it does seem to be a one stop shop. but just a warning it could be a huge resource Hog like Systemworks. all depends i guess.

EDIT: BTW I prefer if any more of this convo goes on that it be on boards. as my E-Mail is under strict Filters and your mail went into Trash to be Purged today. (Because it said from BleepingComputer.com but the address didn't match my Filters.)

Edited by LoLucky, 10 March 2005 - 09:21 AM.

#4 cannybody22

cannybody22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2005 - 10:38 AM

thanks for the info.If I get the suite I will post my experience.
cannybody22 :thumbsup:

#5 cannybody22

cannybody22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2005 - 03:46 AM

:thumbsup: I foolishly bought System Suite 5 without looking at Google for other peoples experience.
LoLucky you weren't the only one to have problems both with their products and after service.
I had loaded a programme from www.smiley.com just before adding System Suite5 to my computer.I at first blamed the Smileys for the problems I encountered.(there were 85 pieces of funweb spyware on my computer which had been clean).However I later found by reading Googles cache that a number of people had similar problems after buying System Suite 5.
It was difficult to remove from my computer but I managed in the end unlike some others who have had to re format their hard discs.
I have just started dialogue to recover my money and intend to contact my credit card company to void the transaction on the basis that the programme was not fit
for the purpose for which it was sold.
So don't use your hard earned money when you get your wages on this programme.I think it depends on novices like me looking for a one stop solution.
Cannybody22

#6 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 09:24 AM

I'm sorry to hear/read that.
Sorry for my bad suggestion. i won't suggest that again to anyone till i at least review it myself.
Smart idea canceling Charge although by the time you receive the program is't it a little too late?
WOW you got it in less than 20 days! took me like 5 weeks to get my copy of "System Commander 6".
Good Luck on getting your Money back I'm rooting for ya!

Edit: Err stupid me Download DUH!

Edited by LoLucky, 04 April 2005 - 09:25 AM.

#7 Deodar

Deodar

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2005 - 05:15 AM

Wots going on you 2??Am I missing something here??Never heard of any of this
stuff& I get daily downloads from PC World,tho hardly use any of it! Did just score
SYSTEM WORKS (Norton)@$30 ,still in box;formerly Norton Utilities.(www .Trade Me.co.nz)is our site for software(auction)&a good Comp Forum.Don't like Norton
but will have fun with this new toy as it's sposed to do the bizz.Have you any exp.
with ultimate boot cd(UBCD)?Playing with it lately...interesting.Power Toolbox is
another...now with courier.EEHAA!

#8 Deodar

Deodar

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2005 - 05:36 AM

B4 I go& mow the ruddy lawns...System Mechanic5 might just be the answer to Q1!
An all in one reg edit/backup/copy/anti-spyware utility from UMM...darn it...ahhh..
Iolo Technologies???nahh wait4it.. :thumbsup: http://www.iolo.com/sm/5!!
http://www.power defrag.com. is another I'll miss when the 30 days is up(winkwink
Would love to have you both as our guests@Trade Me/Community/Computers!!!

#9 cannybody22

cannybody22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2005 - 02:21 AM

To keep things up to date I have now downloaded the full Users guide for System Suite 5 and feel that I need to check more thoroughly whether it was to blame for my problems,to ensure that the info.I am posting is reliable.Also as I heve managed to take it off my computer once then I may be able to do so again if necessary.It will be a week or two before I go ahead becuase of other obligations but I will inform of progress and experience.
For the benefit of the most recent contributer the site you want to have alook for yourself is www.v-com.com
Let me know how you get on.
Cannybody22

#10 cannybody22

cannybody22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2005 - 02:27 AM

I have now re installed System suite 5 and updated it.
This time I didn't install the free ware that goes with it and only did the minimum recommended which was system suite 5 and Recovery Commander.
As a self taught computer user of fairly recent days (1 year 6 months)I now find the programme invaluable.
The back up support is now much better as they have been taken over by a French Company and you get an answer to queries within 24 hours or so.
You need to let it take over as anti virus ware and the firewall is from sygate,both update regularly.
It has cleaned my registry,de-fragmented my disc and improved my security amongst other things.
I suspect that recent updates have removed some of the bugs.Recovery commander is good as well and reminds you of the need to set up restore points before downloading new programmes and then does it for you at the click of a mouse.
All in all I'm now pleased that I didn't return it for rebate.
Sorry V-com.com for my original comments although at that time it may not have been as good as it is now.
Well worth a try,if you,like me,are not a computer expert.
If you have service pack two installed you need to tell it that you are taking responsibility for the anti virus and firewall,as you have both adequately installed,as it doesn't recognise these particular programmes.

Hope this is usefull to someone else.

Cannybody22 :thumbsup:

#11 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2005 - 11:06 AM

Hey Canny
glad to see you posted back an update on this. and very glad its working for you now. :thumbsup: yeah Updates are your Friend! (except when they come with the word "Microsoft" attached :flowers:)

Edited by LoLucky, 23 May 2005 - 11:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users