Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq Presario V2000 Startup Problems

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 expendis

expendis

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:34 PM

Ive had this compaq presario v2555us for basically 2 years. Ive had a few problems with it like the USB ports stopped working, but I think the contacts were just dirty. I upgraded one of the ram sticks to a 1g stick so i had like 1,256 megs or ram or just about. That was only a month after I got the laptop.

Ive treated this laptop very nicely over the years.

The other day, I left it on (which is not unusual) all day while I was gone. I had only a few programs running. Probably AIM and iTunes.

When I got home from my daily adventure, I noticed my laptop's screen was completely gray. I tried hitting all of the buttons and tapping the power button, but no response. I restarted it via the power button and when I powered it up again, the screen came on as usual and the Compaq logo showed up as usual along with the prompt <ESC> to change boot order, <F10> to boot from network and <F1> to enter setup. It froze there. Ive tried everything to get it past this screen. Occasionally when I restart it fast it says <F1> to continue, <F10> to setup. I took all the USB devices out, tried again. Then I tried taking out the ram and replacing it again. I tried taking out the hard drive and booting. I tried taking out the disk drive and booting. Even the internal wireless card. I tried taking the CMOS battery out for about 5 hours while I was at work. No avail. all the hardware components look fine in side the computer. Its very clean, only a little dust. The computer wasnt hotter than usual when I found it, and I even let it cool off before starting it again.

I dont want to give up on this machine. Please help!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that my sister has the same exact model computer. This happened to hers about a year ago and we tried replacing the keyboard to no avail. Also, my computer is out of warranty as of last February.

Edited by expendis, 06 February 2008 - 10:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 07:35 AM

Can you get into it long enough to use the Esc key to change the boot order? Does it freeze in the next screen? Can you boot from a bootable CD/DVD?

Have you checked the AC Adaptor to ensure it's putting out the proper voltage? Wiggle the cord while testing it with a multimeter to ensure that there's no breaks in the cord.

Once you're sure that the AC Adaptor is working properly, plug it into the laptop and gently wiggle it while watching the charger light on the laptop. Does it go on and off when you wiggle it? If so, this could mean that the plug inside the case is broken and needs a repair.

If you're able to wiggle it to where the charging light stays on - hold it there for a bit and then try to start the computer - does that help to get you further along in the boot process?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 expendis

expendis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 02:27 PM

When I start my computer, It shows the first screen which says <ESC> to change boot order, <F10> to boot from network and <F1> to enter setup. It stays at that screen, and even when i press any key, it doesn't change. The same thing happened to my sisters computer of the same model, and after trying to replace the keyboard, nothing changed. When I plug in the power cord, the charging light comes on and stays solid. I know Its getting the proper voltage.

Thanks for the reply. I really look forward to more replies, as this is my only computer!

:thumbsup:

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 07:51 PM

This error is happening in the BIOS, not in Windows. As such, it's a bit difficult to diagnose without the advanced tools that most of us can't afford.

You can try this procedure: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...106&lang=en

Also, you may want to reset the CMOS - but I haven't been able to locate a link on that. If you can find the battery on the motherboard, remove it, remove the big battery, and remove the AC Adaptor. Leave it for 30 minutes and then put it all back together and see if it works.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:09 PM

Post deleted, because I re-read one of your posts and realized what I had to suggest won't work.

You may need to replace the battery if you can't get the issue resolved. CMOS batteries are the cheapest thing inside your computer.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 07 February 2008 - 08:22 PM.

#6 expendis

expendis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:40 PM

Thank you for the replies. Ive tried resetting the CMOS as I stated in my original post.

I cant even enter setup which would provide access to a lot of the tools needed to diagnose my problem.

Ill try to describe the symptoms again.

The computer powers on, the hard drive spins, the CD drive spins, and all the regular lights come on. There are NO beeps or sounds that play.
When the computer comes on, the monitor displays COMPAQ and displays certain buttons which do certain things like ESC is to change the boot order.

The computer seems to lock up here. The keyboard does not respond at all. I have reason to believe, though, that the keyboard is not the issue, as my sister experienced the same thing and we could not resolve the issue with a new keyboard.

Would the CMOS battery being dead cause the computer to halt before even allowing access to the BIOS controls?

Please explain how the CMOS and BIOS are related, as I believe that one of the two are failing in some way.

Also, where could I purchase a CMOS battery replacement?

Thanks again! :D

Edited by expendis, 07 February 2008 - 10:41 PM.

#7 expendis

expendis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:35 AM

Ive done some looking around about CMOS batteries, and this webpage states that if i receive "CMOS Read Error, CMOS checksum error, or CMOS Battery Failure" errors, that I should look into replacing my battery.

My laptop, on the other hand, doesn't give me any errors. It just plain wont start.

Thanks!

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 08:35 AM

Well...you don't necessarily get a warning when things are going bad...the warnings often come only when the system is able to decide that things ARE bad.

The CMOS battery (CR2032) is available just about anyplace that sells batteries for cameras, etc. WalMart, KMart, etc. Cost less than $5 U.S. here.
You have seen this webpage, right?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...988&lang=en

I was trying to find a manual to pinpoint the CMOS battery location, but I was unsuccessful.

Louis

#9 expendis

expendis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:51 PM

Yes I saw that page. I tried resetting the ram.

I will buy a CMOS battery today and see if that fixes it.

My question is that if i need to unplug the computer and take out the actual battery before it resets the CMOS, that sort-of implies that the CMOS could also be powered by the power supply or battery, right?

Plus, as I stated in my first post, when I arrived at my computer, the screen was gray and the computer was unresponsive. Wouldnt the CMOS battery only effect my computer at startup? or would it dying while it was on cause it to become unresponsive?

-Caleb

Thanks a lot!

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:59 PM

A failing or dead CMOS battery, IME, causes XP to behave in very strange, uncharacteristic ways.

I went through this about 2 months ago, varying symptoms that did not fit anything which I had previously experienced with any version of Windows.

Eventually, after trying just about anything else I could think of...I decided to replace the CMOS battery on my desktop.

All returned to normal on boot, once the replacement was installed.

Louis

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 08 February 2008 - 07:58 PM

I generally unplug my computer before working inside the case. And that includes when the battery has to be taken out/reinstalled.
*Usually* one indicator of a dead or dying CMOS battery is being asked to press F1 for setup whenever the computer is booted up.
After you install the new one, you will be asked to enter set-up where the date and time will have to be correctly set.
Good luck, I hope this very inexpensive but important part of the innards of the pc solves the issue for you.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 08 February 2008 - 08:01 PM.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 08:34 PM

CMOS and BIOS are very closely related. See the first paragraph of this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonvolatile_BIOS_memory

#13 expendis

expendis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:29 PM

I went to WalMart and got a new battery. The problem persists. :thumbsup:

I greatly appreciate the responses!

Anyone else have any ideas?

#14 RLI

RLI

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 02:33 AM

pull the HDD and try booting it. what happens?

#15 expendis

expendis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 05:31 AM

I tried taking out the hard drive and booting.

From my original post.

Thanks, though.

I get the same screen every time I try to boot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users