Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Javascript issues

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 greven

greven

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:37 PM

Hello everyone. I have a problem with javascript. I've tried to download it to mu new computer, an acer aspire 1800 with windows vista basic, but i keep getting the following message when i try the installation portion of the download:

This installation package could not be opened. verify the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installer package.

Could someone help me? I tried the online and offline download as well as installing mozilla firefox web browser to bypass the internet explorer web browser. I had read on a forum that it helps incase there is a corruption in the program.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 greven

greven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:50 PM

bump

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 08:00 PM

You can't download javascript. Are you maybe trying to download Java? They are two completely unrelated languages, in spite of the similarity in the names. Before I give any more advice, I want to make sure that we are talking about the same thing.

#4 greven

greven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 09:51 PM

it is the java software version 6 update 3 from sun microsystems.

#5 greven

greven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 11:59 PM

can someone please help me?!?!?!?!?!

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 09:09 AM

Please show us the link that you used to download the installer.
Have you re-downloaded it to ensure that the first download wasn't corrupted?
Have you tried right clicking on the installer and selecting "Run as administrator"?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 goodkitty

goodkitty

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 02:58 PM

can someone please help me?!?!?!?!?!

Hi Greven,

I had that same problem when i reinstalled my op onto my Dell. I tried it from every direction and could not get the stupid thing to install. I then found a site that explained how to do it manually.

I can't remember exactly but you go into your folders. You first need to allow for hidden folders to show in order to get to the files that you will need.

After this you click on Java 6 or whatever one you have and click on the yellow tab lib.

Under lib scroll down until you see the little white java symbol that says deploy. NOt the yellow deploy but the one that is an executable jar file.

When you click this it should install it for you.

GL

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 04:57 PM

Here's a good proceedure
Your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update:
  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) Version 6 and save it to your desktop.
  • Scroll down to where it says "Java Runtime Environment (JRE)6 Update 4...allows end-users to run Java applications".
  • Click the "Download" button to the right.
  • Select your Plattform: "Windows".
  • Select your Language: "English".
  • Read the License Agreement, and then check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
  • Click Continue and the page will refresh.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation and save the file to your desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove Programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check (highlight) any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u4-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.
Troubleshooting the Installation

Edited by boopme, 12 February 2008 - 05:00 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 goodkitty

goodkitty

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:55 PM

In reply to the last entry. I had taken every version of Java off ofmy computer. I had just installed a new OP and started everything from scratch. Even when i download it offline it does the same thing as soon as I try to install it regardless of what version it is. If you look int this proplem there are thousands of people out there having the same problem with no easy fix. After a few days of being frusterated I had finally tried this method and it worked. This was before the most recent update about a year ago. Even with the procedure that you described, when people encounter this problem that does not work.

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:12 PM

I am only posting suggestions to possibly help. Perhaps you can use this also.
How to show hidden files in Windows Bleeping Computer Tutorial
from that Tutorial
Windows Vista

To enable the viewing of Hidden files follow these steps:

Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.
Click on the Start button. This is the small round button with the Windows flag in the lower left corner.
Click on the Control Panel menu option.
When the control panel opens you can either be in Classic View or Control Panel Home view:

If you are in the Classic View do the following:
Double-click on the Folder Options icon.
Click on the View tab.
Go to step 5.

If you are in the Control Panel Home view do the following:
Click on the Appearance and Personalization link .
Click on Show Hidden Files or Folders.
Go to step 5.

Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders.
Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide extensions for known file types.
Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.
Press the Apply button and then the OK button and shutdown My Computer.
Now Windows Vista is configured to show all hidden files.

Edited by boopme, 12 February 2008 - 10:16 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users