Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help/info With Ubuntu On A Mac

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 thisismydisplayname

thisismydisplayname

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 04:14 PM

I have 3 Windows computers set up at my house. 2 are Windows XP, one is Windows Vista (all 3 home editions). My brother got an iBook G4 and the hard drive I believe is physically broken and such. So, I burnt an Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS PowerPC iso to a cd (named "ubuntu-6.06.1-desktop-powerpc.iso" that I got from Ubuntu.com).

My question is, is it possible to get it to read the shared documents I have on our Windows P2P network? The files are only music files, as I was just going to use it as a cd/dvd player.

p.s.

Thinking about it, I also would like to know if there is any way to put a cd or dvd in and play it while the Live CD is out? (It only has 1 dvd drive being a laptop)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:01 PM

Yes, you should be able to see the files on your Windows network from the network viewer in the file browser, providing that you've set up the networking. (Sorry for the slow reply, this little corner of the forums isn't very active.)

#3 kwboom

kwboom

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2008 - 05:39 PM

As far as seeing and reading files from other computers...... My Ubuntu that I installed will see my other 2 computers and thier files that are set to shared, that is how I get all my good tunes...... I pull them off my kids computer all the time, why load all that crap on mine :thumbsup:

Mine is Ubuntu (7.?? the new one) and the kids is WinXP home.

Edited by kwboom, 01 March 2008 - 05:41 PM.

#4 Specmon

Specmon

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 06:08 PM

So, I burnt an Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS PowerPC iso to a cd (named "ubuntu-6.06.1-desktop-powerpc.iso" that I got from Ubuntu.com).

uh, if this is REALLY what you did, then you probably didn't get very far.

I'm new here, but I'm sure it has been discussed elsewhere on this forum that .ISO files are "images" of the CD that you're going to make.

Whatever software you are using to burn the CD, there will be an option for "Burning CD image" The ISO image is like a zip file. Within it is the meat you are after. The burning software when so told will "open" the image and place it on the CD so that it is ready to use, ready to boot if the image is of a bootable (like yours) CD.

Once correctly burned, the CD will no longer be named "blah-blah.iso"
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users