Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Display Appears Fuzzy And Faded

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 soldat379

soldat379

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 03:28 PM

Hello all. This is my first post on this site and I'm happy to have found you.

I am trying to help my uncle out with his machine. I am a Network Security Administrator by trade but I told him I'ld see what I can do for him. I have thouroughly scanned his machine and am comfortable that he is not suffering from MalWare issues. The issue is that his monitor looks like the contrast and/or brightness is turned all the way up. I have connected the monitor, a 17" CRT, using the same 15 pin VGA cable to my laptop (Acer, Aspire 5050 w/ ATI 1100 graphics card) and it looks fine ruling out a bad monitor.

Here are some facts that may help. The graphic output is an on board graphics card, I do not have the stats with me at the moment on speed, manufacturer, etc. His grandson attempted to install a game and the problem began shortly after that, this is the only thing they could remember when it started. The game has since been uninstalled through program manager.

At present, I am tempted to suggest they buy a new graphics card, they should have one anyway. But, I don't want to cost them money if that isn't going to make the fade go away and normal viewing come back.

some stats I can remember off the top of my head: EMachine, AMD 3100+, 1Gb RAM, WinXP SP2(all updates current as of 3FEB08)

questions: 1.)what might be causing this issue. 2.) what troubleshooting steps should I try

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 03:38 PM

eMachine, uh oh! :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of good you can say about eMachines. :huh:

I would recommend trying any video card you can find. I believe the problem is with your on-board graphics but to be certain, installing a known, good card would tell you the absolute truth.

If he is going to start gaming, he will want to have a decent video card anyways. I only hope that adding a video card will not overtax your power supply. (also a weak link in eMachines).

Good luck.

DR

#3 soldat379

soldat379
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 03:57 PM

Yup, I agree on the emachine but didn't tell him that. It's mostly just an internet interface device and simple homework work horse for his grandson. The game was just a Christmas present, a low end flight sim.

I'll try to find a working graphics card and plug it in. I took one home from work (yes with permission) but the old nVidia PCI card (3D PRO?, not sure what it was) from '02 wouldn't install properly, need to find a newer one I guess.

I was planning on pushing him to get a simple 126Mb card (ATI or nVidia) in the $30 range. It's enough he'll notice a difference over the onboard but not a pain in the pocketbook.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 07:34 PM

IME eMachines have a higher incidence of motherboard problems (to include the onboard graphics) than other, comparable systems.

That being said, the first thing to do would be to download new, updated graphics card drivers.
Then uninstall the drivers from the Add/Remove Programs applet in Control Panel
Then uninstall the display adapter itself from within Device Manager (by right clicking on it)
Reboot
Dismiss any "Found New Hardware" wizard that pops up.
Double click on the installer for the new graphics drivers and follow the prompts to install it.

If this fixes it, then it was the drivers that got corrupted by the video game. If it doesn't fix it, then it's most likely that it's a problem with the onboard graphics card.

If that's the case, disable the onboard graphics in the BIOS (if the option is there) and ensure that it's set for the add-in card that you'll have to purchase.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users