Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Group Policy

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 skhair

skhair

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 02:30 PM

I am having trouble with my firewall. I shows to be off and is in a state were I can't change it. It says at the tab on General "For your security, some settings are controlled by Group Policy" This computer has never been used for business so I am not sure how that got on there. I appreciate your help.

BTW I have done the START>RUN>REGEDIT and it comes up with "Registry editing has been disabled by your administrator" As far as I know I am one of the administrators.

Edited by skhair, 06 February 2008 - 02:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 03:58 PM

What firewall are you referring to? Change it how?

If the Windows firewall...have you scanned for malware?

If a 3d-party firewall...what about removing, then reinstalling?

How did you ascertain that it is off?

Did you check Services to see if it is listed as running? Same question for Task Manager?

Louis

#3 skhair

skhair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:49 PM

Yes, I am talking about the Windows firewall. DH has installed an additional firewall and antivirus. He has run Malware and nothing came up. So I think we are safe as far as any coming in. I did the CTRl>ALT>DELETE and it said that it was controlled by administrator but I repaired that with a download from another post about that problem but the windows firewall still shows to be grayed out. The button is marked off and no way to change it. The same thing is on the windows automatic update.

I have run antivirus, ad-aware. I just don't understand how group policy got on here? Is it from an update from Windows?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 07:27 PM

Are you running 2 firewalls (the Windows one and the 3rd party one)? If so, I'd suggest turning one off. It can (and usually does) cause conflicts that may affect the running of your system.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 syunichi

syunichi

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:11 PM

If you are running windows XP Pro, you can go in to the group policy by doing

:flowers: Go to RUN>type GPEDIT.MSC

You will have access to group policy to enable and disable quite a lot of capability even for enhancing 20% more speed on your internet. Now maybe you can browse through the administrator tree folders inside there and find what are you looking for. Good luck. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Tech Support: "Do you have any windows open right now?"
Customer: "Are you crazy woman, it's twenty below outside..."

#6 skhair

skhair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:27 AM

Thanks for your help but I have fixed it.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:28 AM

Could you let us know what you did to fix it? It'll help others who experience the same problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 skhair

skhair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:40 AM

Here is the link for the problem of "For your secuity, firewall is now controlled by Group Policy"

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsg...amp;m=1&p=1

Also here is the link to fix Windows Automatic Update if it is grayed out.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/aupolicy.htm

I still don't know how Group Policy got on my computer but these links have fixed by problem. Hope this helps some others with the same problem.

Edit My ctrl>alt>delete brought up an error (wouldn't open up the Task Manager). Here is a link for that fix.

www.recoverdatasoftware.com

Edited by skhair, 07 February 2008 - 12:05 PM.

#9 syunichi

syunichi

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:48 AM

Great infos on the links. Thank you for sharing :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Tech Support: "Do you have any windows open right now?"
Customer: "Are you crazy woman, it's twenty below outside..."

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 01:47 PM

Glad you solved it, happy computing :flowers:.

I, for one, would never have found/recommended those registry edits...based on what you initially reported. Ramesh is a very knowledgeable person, so you somehow made the right connections :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users