Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linksys Wireless Adapter Not Working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 joebeaven

joebeaven

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 02:05 PM

Hi,

I have a Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter in my Windows XP PC. I installed it over a year ago and it's been working fine up until today. Now, I'm unable to connect to the Internet. When I go to Device Manager, there is an exclamation point in a yellow circle over the wireless adapter and when I click on it it says: "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". I've tried reinstalling the drivers from the CD, but I just get a message saying everything is up-to-date. Please can someone suggest what I can do to get back online?

Thanks,
Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 04:09 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310123

If you tried the right drivers, my guess would be that it's failing.

Louis

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 05:56 PM

Instead of just updating the driver, try removing it, reboot, and reinstall
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 07 February 2008 - 09:05 AM

Hi Joe.
If garmanma's suggestion doesn't work either, remove the drivers again, shut down and move the card to another pci slot, then re-install the drivers. If it still won't go, the card is probably toast. Had the same problem with a firewire card. (bad pci slot). Doesn't happen too often but something you can eliminate as a possibility. :thumbsup:

#5 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 07 February 2008 - 01:43 PM

Thanks for the advice. I tried reinstalling it and then moving it to another PCI slot and reinstalling again but nothing helped. In the end I just bought a new card and now I can get online.

Thanks again,
Joe

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 07 February 2008 - 02:00 PM

Appreciate the feedback, happy computing :thumbsup:!

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users