Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seeking Help

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 CelesteL

CelesteL

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 01:44 PM

Hi!

Sorry I am still very new with this so if I have done this incorrectly please forgive me and direct me where I should have gone.

The reason for signing up with the group was for seeking advice in the computer field with various questions I may have now or in the furture.

My questions now relate to my Window Me computer system. The defrag that came with my computer doesn't seem to be working properly. I can't remember the last time I defrag on the computer (shame on me). But when I did it seemed to have worked to my understanding. However in the last month I have tried a number of time to defrag and after hours the computer says it is degraging, but nothing is showing up. My computer is slower than what it use to be and I want to try to clean it up. From what I have understood this is one of the steps to do so. So what is wrong with my defrag program? And What else can I do to clean up my computer. My last question, for now is...on another computer I work with when I went to defrag that one it said that I had about 23% free space, but only 13% allowed for defrag, but the computer needed 15% to complete defrag. How do I get that?

Sorry for all the questions, but maybe someone would be willing to assist me. I would very much appreciate it.

Thank you,
CelesteL

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 01:54 PM

Hi; may one ask what programs if any you have already run on the computer to check for infections?

are you running the defrag program while off line and with no other programs running?

#3 dxg0072001

dxg0072001

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 07 February 2008 - 12:00 PM

Try this method: Start>Run and type exactly this without the quotes "defrag C: -f". This won't show the 15% error message. If you have problems with this command, you can try doing the Defrag in Safe mode.

If you do not have the technical knowledge (or know how) to disable anti-virus programs in Normal mode, I would suggest the safe mode operation, as these software programs are a major culprit for slow or unresponsive Defrags.

As for a different defrag client, you can try Auslogics Disk Defrag 1.4.11.275. CNET approved!

#4 CelesteL

CelesteL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 05:22 PM

To answer ruby1: Right now, the defrag program I am having difficulty with was the one provided by Mircosoft. However, I am installing a program called Advanced Registry Optimizer and Advanced System Optimizer. Hopefully, these will clear up any problems I am having.
Everything I am doing I am trying to do offline, unless the program itself has requested the internet connection.

To answer dxg0072001: I will have to try what you mentioned, on the other computer. I have not at this time tried it. Thank you for your suggestions.

Thank you both for your fast response. I really appreciate the assistance. CelesteL

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:22 PM

With 98 and Me, it was always suggested to run defrag in safemode and the screensaver set to "none". That way you are sure nothing is running in the backround to interrupt the process
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 07:11 AM

With 98 and Me, it was always suggested to run defrag in safemode and the screensaver set to "none". That way you are sure nothing is running in the backround to interrupt the process

I've never done that with Win98. I Scandisk and Defrag once a week and it always completes. Apart from a couple of weeks ago when I Scandisked. It tried 10 times then through up the error. I checked what else was running and IE was still running but it didn't show in the Taskbar. I end tasked it and it carried on as normal.

If more processes are still running then this will cause errors. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#7 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 04:02 PM

try running the defrag program in safe mode;be aware that, if the program has not been run for awhile it may take some time TO run; of interest, how much Ram do you have? :thumbsup:

#8 samlf3rd

samlf3rd

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:12 PM

You probably do have programs running in the background. Hold down Ctrl+Alt+Delete this will show you every program that is running on your computer,,,, don't just start ending processes without knowing what they are(this window will stay in front of all other windows simply do a search on the net of everything you find). Iexplorer is the internet which you can end if you aren't online, things like alg.exe and winlogon.exe are normal, but you may find one of those entries is possibly a virus program. If you do find something that your internet search says it is malware/virus/adware simply "Ending the process" will usually only temporarily pause the program from running. You may want to run clear temp files, cookies, run a virus scan or possibly even run a hijackthis log and post in a forum so you can be advised of how to properly remove the entry.
Sam F 3

#9 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2008 - 03:14 PM

another option I have doen on my win 98se lap top to sort a similar issue was to go to ctrl/alt/del and quite literally shut EVERY running program except defragment; this meant that ONLY defrag was running ( also meant that the comp needed rebooting after the scan :flowers: )

If you have not run defrag for some months(?) if at all , the first run will I suggest be long in time as it will have a LOT of work to do :thumbsup:

#10 CelesteL

CelesteL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:50 PM

Thanks for all your help. Going into Safe mode did work. There seems to be quite a few programs running, but I am not sure what all is running. So I plan to do a google search of sorts to see what each unknown program actually is.

As to the question to my RAM, it escapes me what I have in my desktop. I do remember when I got it in December of 2000 that shortly afterward I upped it.

Thanks again, everyone!

#11 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:42 AM

if you are not sure what each program is you can always post back here and members can help you ?

and would be useful to know how much Ram you do now have on the Win 2000 machine , also your Antivirus program and other protection scanner programs?

how is the computer now behaving ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users