Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very Annoying Thing..taskbar Help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 skypilot0077

skypilot0077

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 11:19 AM

My task bar at the bottom where the start icon is for some reason is twice as tall from the bottom of the screen as it used to be. Normally I would just put my mouse on the edge of the task bar and drag it down a bit and its back to normal. For some reason now it will only go all the way down out of site or up to a double wide task bar. I cannot get it to be the normal height single task bar. I think I checked all the settings I could find for it, tried dragging it over to the side and the top of the screen and it does the same thing. I tried unchecking the show clock(its showing the full date, day and time now) but nothing. I'm at a loss. This is a multiple user PC and one of the users obviously messed with something. Its probably something I'm missing but I can't seem to find it. Any help appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 01:54 PM

I recall recently seeing the same problem posted here. It'll take me awhile to search for it, but I'll bump your post up to let others see it
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 skypilot0077

skypilot0077
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 03:01 PM

Thanks..I've been searching here and elsewhere too. Haven't found the answer yet.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 05:51 PM

One question to ask. How many icons are showing on the taskbar and the Quick Launch bar? So far I've read that if there's too many this is the result.
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:37 PM

Hello skypilot,

The fact that the taskbar disappears tells me that the settings have been changed to auto hide. To fix this, right click on Start. Then click on Properties. Click on the taskbar tab, then remove the check mark by Autohide the taskbar. Now move the taskbar where you want it, then go back to the same tab and put a check mark by Lock the task bar.

As for its size, I remember where it could be changed, but not exactly how because it doesn't actually say taskbar. It's something else that changes it.

Right click on a blank space on your desktop, click on Properties. Then click on the Appearance tab then Advanced. You can play around with these one or two at a time and click apply to see what changes they make. Please note what the settings were before changes so you can reverse it if you want. Another alternative would be to choose a theme on the Appearance tab and click apply and see if it will restore the taskbar size.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

edited to fix verb form and remove duplicate signature

Edited by Orange Blossom, 07 February 2008 - 03:24 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#6 skypilot0077

skypilot0077
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 09:47 AM

I'll give those a try Orange. I did set the task bar to auto hide after this started because it was annoying me.

#7 skypilot0077

skypilot0077
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 03:05 PM

Alos there are 5 icons in the quick launch and 4 in the task bar. The task bar icons are on auto hide. They have been there a long time without this happening so I don't believe that is the cause. I may be wrong, I'm no expert, thats why I'm asking. Thanks for the suggestions. I will keep pluging on this when time permits until I find the solution. Thanks again.

#8 skypilot0077

skypilot0077
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 07:38 AM

Fixed...

Left click mouse and hold on bottom half of small vertical line next to start button. Drag that past the quick start icons and upwards slightly and waalaa... back to normal. I knew it was something silly! Thanks again for the suggestions

Edited by skypilot0077, 08 February 2008 - 07:39 AM.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 08:51 AM

Glad you figured it out
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users