Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Outlook And Firefox And Windows

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 11:06 AM

What could be the cause of a slow computer in these situations. Sometimes when switching between programs, say from Firefox to Outlook, the computer pauses for too long - or so it seems. Another situation is when I am deleting an outlook message and it seems to take a long period of time to delete the message and display the new one. (Could the reading pane be an issue?) Another situation is when I shut down and it takes a long time for the start menu to appear and then for it to disappear and the shut down screen to appear.

I've run all the malware checks and perform maintenance on my computer. My hunch is that the problem is a lack of RAM. Other than that what other causes should I consider?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rittnasty

Rittnasty

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:40 PM

Well for one, I know that Firefox occupies a lot of RAM...I found some tweaks online a while ago that reduced the amount of your CPU and RAM that it used. How much RAM do you currently have installed? If its not this it could be spyware, which will cause Windows Explorer and other programs to lag. What spyware program are you using?
"And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15 (ESV)

Thoughtvent.com

#3 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 01:17 PM

Well, Rittnasty, you've caught me off guard. I'm at work and left my computer at home. The spyware program is the free program, Ad Aware, I think it is called?

#4 Rittnasty

Rittnasty

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 02:05 PM

Ad-aware could definitely be causing your computer to run slow...there have been instances where Ad-aware and XP have conflicted (especially with newer version of Ad-aware). I stopped using Ad-aware because it bogged my system down...as an alternative try uninstalling Ad-aware and installing Super Anti-Spyware. This could only be one of the issues however, so just post back after you get back to your computer.
"And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15 (ESV)

Thoughtvent.com

#5 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 04:13 PM

Thanks again, RittNasty. When I get home I'll ditch Ad Aware and substitute the one you recommend.

#6 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 01:26 PM

So now I am running AVG Free edition as my anti-virus and SuperAntiSpyware (Free) as my spyware protection. Anything else I should have as far as security goes?

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,173 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 02:23 PM

For an XP system I would add
SpywareBlaster 3.5.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 Rittnasty

Rittnasty

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 04:55 PM

Are you running any type of firewall protection other than the Windows Firewall? If not I would recommend one of those as well. I use Comodo Firewall (free edition) with AVG anti-virus. They are both light on system resources and I have not experienced any issues with those two program interfering with one another.

Ditto on boopme's recommendation. A lot of times it is good to have two different spyware programs because they will perform different functions and detect other spyware and malware that another spyware program may not catch.

Thoughtvent.com

#9 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 01:56 PM

Should all these programs slow my computer or cause delays at startup or shutdown? Something seems to be doing so. Would an all in one program (not Norton!) work better and cause fewer delays? If so which one? What about extra RAM? I have 512 now.

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,173 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 02:07 PM

Well generally at startup they will slow down or take longer until they have loaded. Then things should level off.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 06:18 PM

I've had Comodo for a few days. However, today I ran into some trouble with it. It blocked all internet traffic for Firefox and Outlook. What could cause this?

#12 Rittnasty

Rittnasty

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 11:27 AM

You can adjust the settings so that Comodo is not so restrictive. I would set the security meter somewhere in the medium range. This is where I have it and it recognizes and allows most of my programs. I have only had a few in the last month that the Comodo database did not recognize, but you can manually approve and allow these programs.

Thoughtvent.com

#13 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:55 AM

Comodo seems to work fine once the computer is up and running. However startup takes a lot longer. Is it essential to have it running all the time? If so, is there any way to improve startup time?

#14 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 10:24 AM

Thanks to everyone here for their assistance. I still have problems switching between programs - say from Firefox to Outlook. Outlook seems to be the slowest and takes the longest to rebuild itself on the screen. Would more RAM help this?

#15 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,701 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2008 - 01:29 AM

How much RAM do you have on your computer?

How many programs do you have running at start-up? Perhaps a number of these could be disabled or switched to manual.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users