Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Question About Hard Disks

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tooth-in-the-Sea

Tooth-in-the-Sea

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 09:42 AM

Hello guys :thumbsup: ,
I have a question about Hard Disks, and would really appreciate answering from the bottom of my heart :

I would like to know the process of retrieving/writing files done between the mother board and the hard disk...
How is the data transfered from mother board to Hard disk ?
Is there any special signals or flags that are sent between the two sides (mother board and HDD) ?
Is there an amount of buffer in transfering data ?
How can the mother board describe the location of the desired file from Hard Disk ?
whats the job of the pins found in the back of HDD ?

Simply: everything you can tell me about how the mother board communicates with the Hard Disk Hardware, please please please say it, other wise, please
direct me to full tutorial on how everything is done.

Thanks in advance :flowers: ,
"Time is the best teacher, but unfortunatly, it kills all of its students !" - Robin Williams

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rittnasty

Rittnasty

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:31 AM

The motherboard does not store files or data (except some info in RAM and BIOS so that your computer can start up in the proper boot cycle). The motherboard acts as the central hub that all your computer hardware plugs into. So, your hard drive plugs into the mobo and that is how it communicates with the other computer components. Basically, the motherboard is the brains of the operation and it (along with the processor) handles all the information exchanged between computer hardware. I am guessing that you are referring to the connector pins on the back of the hard drive? If so, this is the port for the power supply connection so that your hard drive will turn on. Hope this helps....
"And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15 (ESV)

Thoughtvent.com

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 02:07 PM

This kind of smells like a homework assignment, is it not?
Google is your friend
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Tooth-in-the-Sea

Tooth-in-the-Sea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 02:08 PM

Thank you Rittnasty for trying to help...
But my question was pretty much technical, I know everything you said already, but what I want is some technical information, because I'm working on a project and need these information.

I want to know what the motherboard actually does to get information and send them, how does the motherboard do it, deep information about the job of the motherboard.

Thank you

oh And garmanma: when you said Google is your friend, felt like I lost some IQ points because I tried it...and all the first 10 pages explain how HDD works, among them I found your website...meaning Google led me here :D

Edited by Tooth-in-the-Sea, 06 February 2008 - 02:10 PM.

"Time is the best teacher, but unfortunatly, it kills all of its students !" - Robin Williams

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 02:36 PM

I apologize if you felt if I was talking down to you. Since almost anyone who is going to reply to you is also going to use Google to help you, I recommend searching for the following terms
Hard drive pin assignments
CPU pin assignments
CPU theory
Computer theory
A decent reference source: http://www.webopedia.com/
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 Tooth-in-the-Sea

Tooth-in-the-Sea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 02:54 PM

Thank you garmanma, looks like I'll keep searching and no need to apologize as I was joking :flowers:
but you guys keep me posted if you find anything regarding this topic

greetings :thumbsup:

#7 dxg0072001

dxg0072001

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:44 AM

Hi, I would recommend a book on this if you are interested: 68000 Microprocessor Systems Design 3rd Edition by Alan Clements. You might find this in your local library. If you ask me, it's an amazing book with loads of technical info, especially for engineers. (I'm doing a Bach in Engineering)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users