Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Presidential Race

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Bulldog

Bulldog

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 09:30 AM

Me and a co worker was just talking. Hillary, Condoleezza Rice and others. My and our question that stumbled us was, if a woman became president, would we be the first country to have a woman president that was not royalty, be it dictator, president or prime minister.

Thanks
bulldogsmall6ma.jpg

"And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abe Lincoln

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 07:21 PM

Three names came to mind immediately: Margret Thatcher, Indira Ghandi, and Cleopatra. I add Cleo because during her reign, women were not permitted to rule. She was the consumate statesperson and seized power like a man would.

But a more detailed list can be found here:WOMAN STATE LEADERS

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Noot

Noot

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 08:12 PM

10.12.2007- Executive President Cristina E. Fernández Wilhelm de Kirchner, Argentina

Won the first round of the presidential elections in October 2007 as candidate for Partido Justicalista. She was Member of the Assembly of Santa Cruz 1989-95 and 1. Vice-President of the Assembly in 1990, National Senator 1995-97 and again since 2001, National Deputy 1997-2001. President of the Senate Committee of Contitutional Affairs since 2001. Her husband, Nestor Kirchner was President until 2007.. Mother of 2 children. (b. 1953-).

This was who I was trying to think of when I opened this thread. She became president after her husband did. I remember seeing it on tv, probably on CNN. I had to go look through Animal's link to find her.
Posted Image

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving
that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority."
E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

#4 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:05 AM

Angela Merkel :thumbsup:

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#5 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 08:54 PM

Helen Clark one of the first Female NZ prime ministers elected for the last three terms, 1999 - today.
But in the American presidency race, even though I'm not in the country or have anything to do with it, I want to see Obama win :thumbsup:

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#6 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:22 PM

Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, Liberian Female President and Africa's first 'elected' female leader (BBC). I don't know why 'elected' is included! Can't think of an 'un-elected' one.

#7 chayisun

chayisun

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:55 PM

WE, in Canada, had the privilege in seeing the very first female Prime Minister.

Yep..We had Kim Campbell, who lasted, I believe, about 6 hours....Well, it seemed that short.

Yes Kim is famous for.....Ummm....Well, she is famous for being the first and only female Prime Minister.

She wanted to be called President Kim but it was rejected in case the United States thought she might be the leader of North Korea.

After she was soundly defeated, I believe she ran off with her pool boy to New York....Or was it Cancun....

#8 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 09:14 AM

Well, there you go -

a woman can be just as much of a failure in such a position as a man can!

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#9 joe883

joe883

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 10:59 AM

Hope this isn't getting off the subject but anyone know
where you can find the actual numbers of people voting
for a candidate so far? Not delegates, I know how that works
but at the end of this week, how many people voted for any
of the candidates? I'm still looking. :thumbsup:

I meant the popular vote, duh!

Edited by joe883, 13 February 2008 - 11:25 AM.

#10 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:06 PM

I'm sure you could find the number of people that voted for each candidate in each of the states so far, and create a spreadsheet to compile that total if you can't actually find it anywhere.

And, you may not. In many, if not most, states only registered Democrats and Republicans can vote, and then only for the Democrat or Republican nominees. Registered Independants and people registered with "no party affiliation" such as myself were not able to vote for any of the candidates here in Florida, for example.

This would somewhat make the "popular vote" in these primaries/caucuses somewhat missleading since most eliminate some folks from the process and also make it impossible for members of one party to vote for a canditate of the other party.

At least, that's my view.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#11 Bulldog

Bulldog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 01:00 PM

Thanks for all the information.
bulldogsmall6ma.jpg

"And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abe Lincoln

#12 THE_wizard

THE_wizard

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:12 PM

A really good place to get polls and information and stuff like that is at realclearpolitics.com , my Government Teacher is crazy about monitering the presidential race.

Now, time to take this conversation to a deeper level :flowers:

I think that if we had a female president, we would definatly be attacked by north korea (for those of us who have been monitering the situation, cnn finally got in, but as we all no, they didn't find any bad stuff. No that was all hidden before they got their in the closet . . .). I seriously think that North Korea would not take us seriously. And if Hillary Clinton became president, which i hope will not happen, we will MOST DEFINATLY be attacked, not to mention mass panic in the streets because people will see that their country is being lead by a pyscopath, no seriously, that woman SCARES me :thumbsup:
Plus, our standing with many of the worlds countries will go down. BUt you have to hand it to Hillary, she knows how to give a speech (i'm talking about her famous speech in bejing, if you don't know what i'm talking about, then you really need to go to the webstie i recommended)

Sorry if I appear sexist, but thats what I think.

P.S. If Obama gets elected, there is no doubt he will be the next Abraham Lincoln, KKK will rise up and assasinate him once again, no doubt about it.
"10 out of 10 people die." HAHA
"Love is not something to hide behind." Yoh, Shaman King
"Its not the challenge, nor the challenger, but the love of the game, that makes me play." I said this
"A penny saved . . . ., is not very much" little brother/Benjamin Franklin
"If life gives you lemons . . . . ., don't eat them." little brother/Ancient Proverb
"To have good friends, you got to be a good friend." Too many people
"If you ask god to give you courage, strength, wisdom, or friends, he will not give these to you. Rather, he will give your the opportunity to show courage, to gain wisdom, to make friends" A very smart person.

#13 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 28 March 2008 - 02:40 PM

Yes I am interested in the chatter here...I am just actually sitting back watching and waiting for some other controversy to break out and see the effect on the average working joe/jane.
If these people indeed are interested enough to watch CNN.
It seems to me that CNN caters to a specific audience and I am not sure that audience is the dominant one.
I bring this up purely b/c it gives us up here in the North, the most air time on American politics...though I often wonder if it is really accurate. I only say that b/c of the Gore/Bush presidential race and the public prediction made by the network and the "hanging chads".
I don't have any particular political leaning I simply like to watch what is going on and hear what people have to say.
Regards.
BTW, do not all of the states use the same voting mechanism? or is there a possibility of missed votes, hanging chad allegations again?
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

#14 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:01 PM

I hate that such a big deal is made that a woman or a black man might be president. Just people and society feeling the need to separate people into groups, so sad. And these are the same people who get upset over magazine covers. What hypocrites.
"To do less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

"The things you own end up owning you." Tyler Durden

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

#15 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:05 PM

To add to my last post, remember when the Colts and bears were playing for the superbowl??? You probably always will because of how big a deal was made that there were 2 black coaches. I'm sure both coaches just wanted to be superbowl champions.

Just think. Someones race or color has become news worthy!!!! I cant believe it.
"To do less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

"The things you own end up owning you." Tyler Durden

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users