Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Check

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chayisun

chayisun

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 09:00 AM

Well I'm back. Once again, I plead for help... :thumbsup:

Another strange thing is happening......Had a problem with my Bell Security Manager, it showed as being corrupt and unreadable...Said to run ChkDsk Utility.

As for Bell Security Manager I removed it from system.

So, I ran the ChkDsk Utility. Said it would run disk check at startup....Restarted computer....Disk check started and then cancelled itself....Tried again, same result.

So, can't get disk check to run to completion...

Then I decided to try this:

Go to MY COMPUTER
right click local disk, which is "C"
to Properties
to Tools
to Error Checking
check Now box
check on Automatically fix file systems errors
Hit Start

At completion restart computer and got same result.....Begins disk check and cancels itself.

I am sitting at the computer, scratching my head and moaning....It is not a pretty sight.

Please, any ideas?

Much Thanks....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:36 PM

Bad hard drive would be my guess...it takes a lot to prevent chkdsk from running when proper commands are used. You did it properly.

I would move all data files from the hard drive as soon as possible...and then download a diagnostic from the HD manufacturer's website...and run it on that drive, after I had backed up all the files I wanted from the current install.

I'd also take a look in Event Viewer and see if there are any errors recognized which mention any drive in the system.

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

Louis

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 01:37 PM

Many anti-virus programs embed themselves into the OS. Most of them offer removal tools to totally uninstall them. Bell Sympatico's is here:
https://securityservices.sympatico.ca
#8 on the list. I would also download #3 and check anything related to Bell Sympatico SECURITY and clean it up
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 chayisun

chayisun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 07:15 PM

Thanks for the information. I contacted Bell and they sent instructions to remove and then re-install
the program.
Garmanma, those steps you gave me...Yep..Same as Bell, but I got yours waaaay ahead of Bell, who I contacted 48 hours ago....You should work for Bell.
Hamluis, I did as you said...Well, other than the "Hard Drive" data removal.....I shudder at that....And will carry on....Computers.....Geez, think I'll go back to pencil and paper.....However, I think I've forgotten how to write.....
Thanks folks.... :thumbsup:

#5 chayisun

chayisun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 09:46 AM

Sorry..Back again...

I now get the following during some, but not all program start ups, such as REAL PLAYER and DEFRAG (which cancelled at 33% of analyzing...)

The File or directory WINDOWS/PREFETCH\RPS.EXE 0342293F.pf is
corrupt and unreadable.

Run chkdsk utility /f, which, of course I can't.

Is there anyway to fix the corrupt file?

By the way, even though it shows up at times for programs, the programs work, such as REAL PLAYER...

Much thanks for your help and time.....

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:23 AM

Try clearing the PreFetch folder: http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_...refetch-XP.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 chayisun

chayisun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 02:50 PM

Hello again....Last night had a problem with the keyboard, wouldn't recognize some of the keys,
for example...m,n,a,s,r,t ...Anyway, long story short...bought a new keyboard, hooked it up
and turned on the computer...

Lo, and Behold...The Disk Ckeck, which wouldn't run at all, started and ran to completion.... :thumbsup:

So is it possible that the keyboard was causing the problem? Seems rather farfetched but I thought
I would post this in case anybody else has/had the same problem with disk check...

Now I'm waiting for the OTHER shoe to fall......sigh....

One other thing..no sign of corrupt files..yet.... :flowers:

Thanks all...... :trumpet:

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 11 February 2008 - 03:35 PM

Could be...I don't believe that XP will boot without a keyboard attached, so (IMO) there's no predicting what a malfunctioning keyboard does to XP.

Glad you solved it :thumbsup:, happy computing.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users