Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SimonShaw

SimonShaw

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 09 March 2005 - 04:42 AM

Hi

My main reason for comming here is because my home computer has been infected big time, although I appreciate that here isn't th eplace to talk about that.

I do hope though that if I can get my computer back to a normal healthy state, I will learn how to avoid virus's/adware/spyware from infecting my computer in the first place.

I was under the misguided impression that just having a virus guard and a firewall would be enough. oh well.

Certainly this place looks like the place for finding out everything I need to know though - and it would appear at first glance to be very friendly...

Simon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 09 March 2005 - 11:59 AM

Welcome to aboard, Simon.

I was under the misguided impression that just having a virus guard and a firewall would be enough. oh well.

A lot of people make that mistake, and usually with bad results. But by joining us here, you've taken the first step to understanding. We have a lot of very knowledgeable people here, just waiting to help.

As far as friendly people, it just doesn't get much friendlier.

Enjoy your stay.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 09 March 2005 - 05:50 PM

:thumbsup: to bc!
Enjoy your stay!

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2005 - 08:17 PM

There are some excellent general articles on avoiding malware in the Tutorials. I recommend:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/keep-your-computer-safe-online/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/understanding-spyware-browser-hijackers-and-dialers/

Many people, relying on software alone to keep their computers safe and secure, forget that they themselves have the major part to play in the process. Keeping abreast of the latest threats and new ways crooks and scum have found to get you to help them, is necessary since the WWW is not a safe place.
Welcome to BC!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 SimonShaw

SimonShaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2005 - 04:44 AM

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I suspect this is a site I will be visiting on a very regular basis in the future.

That is of course if I ever get my home pc working again. I suspect it is beyond the help of you guys to be honest and I already considering my rebuild options where I may be able to salvage some data.

I assume that if I post a message in the security/hijackthis page and no one answers then that is probably because there are no answers.

How I wish I had found this place a few weeks back. It's sad isn't it that it takes something bad to happen before we start to take a real interest in preventing any problems. I wouldn't mind, but I work with computers and I REALLY should know better!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users