Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstall Programs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 txishome

txishome

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:41 AM

I have a new HP laptop and there are icons for programs listed on it. If I click to delete them, a screen says "deleting this icon will NOT remove the program, go to UNinstall programs screen" When I go to UNinstall programs, that program isn't listed. How come?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mar5hy

mar5hy

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 08:41 AM

I have a new HP laptop and there are icons for programs listed on it. If I click to delete them, a screen says "deleting this icon will NOT remove the program, go to UNinstall programs screen" When I go to UNinstall programs, that program isn't listed. How come?

Just delete unecessary items, not everything installed on your computer will appear in Uninstall programs screen.

If you go Start, my programs, find the file in there - there may be an option to uninstall once you've selected ythe program.

Edited by mar5hy, 06 February 2008 - 08:42 AM.

Brighton, UK

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:31 PM

Sometimes icons are left, they are referred to as "orphans" because the parent program no longer exists. These icons you see may be orphans, as such they can simply be deleted. The advisement you received is a standard Windows announcement...because some persons think that removing an icon removes the parent/referent program/file.

As previous post indicated, you should first check to see if the program truly is installed. Unfortunately, the Start/All Programs list can also contain orphans (since all those are nothing but icons/shortcuts to the actual programs), so looking there can be unreliable.

And there are programs that run without being on the Program list, some of which can be found in the Unzipped folder.

If I wanted to find all programs installed, I would use Explorer view and simply look at the Program Files folders and Unzipped folder in C:. But I would look inside each folder for an .exe, since folders are often left behind when an uninstall occurs.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users