Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copying Itunes To External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Paulrenno

Paulrenno

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:14 AM

I have built a lot of music in Itunes on my pc. I dont want to delete them, or infact move them anywhere, but I want to make a back up of everything on to my external hard drive, just in case something happens to the pc.

What I have been doing is ; opening My Music in My computer. Selecting 'ITunes' and then selecting 'Itunes Music' folder
I then drag this folder onto the 'Itunes music folder' on my external hard drive. Everything seems to copy over - what I need to know is, is this the correct way, or should I be copying another folder?

If something goes wrong, I want to be able to use the copied folders to restore the library.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rittnasty

Rittnasty

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:42 AM

That's how I backed my music up...just a simple copy and paste. However, I have all my music stored in separate folders by genre and I just copied each folder over. I don't know if the iTunes Music folder holds the actual music files though?? My folder iTunes Music folder is empty with exception of an iTunes XML file and an iTunes database file, so you need to find the folder(s) that has the actual .mp3 or .m4a song files...
"And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15 (ESV)

Thoughtvent.com

#3 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:51 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Once I copied everything in 'Itunes Music Folder' onto same folder in external hard-drive, I double'clicked on the folder in the external hard drive and itunes came up with the songs listed, so i think that what i did was correct. I just hope that the 'copied' folder is not just shortcuts and wont be any use as and when I may need them if something goes wrong with the main pc.

#4 Rittnasty

Rittnasty

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 11:06 AM

If it is a shortcut it will have that little arrow in the left-hand corner of the icon. You could also check the file size to see if it is that of a normal song (4-5mb). If it is like 50kb then yeah, its probably a shortcut. But you should be good to go.
"And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15 (ESV)

Thoughtvent.com

#5 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 03:29 AM

Thanks for your time and trouble .. I like the scripture at the bottom of your page.

#6 Rittnasty

Rittnasty

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 09:25 AM

Glad to help bro...good verse isn't it? Have a good one.

Edited by Rittnasty, 07 February 2008 - 09:30 AM.

Thoughtvent.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users