Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwareburn 7.3

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ccc6

ccc6

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 05:50 AM

I started having misdirection problems. Received ad from MalwareBurn (MB) stating it would remove spyware that was causing problems. I installed MB and problems were corrected. But, then I had a new problem with being directed to other advertiser's site. I used SmitFraudFix and cleared up problems. I am now worried that if I use MB scan I may enter more spyware. Anyone have experience with MalwareBurn 7.3?
And those who were seen dancing, were thought insane by those who could not hear the music......Nietzsche

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 02:05 PM

Hello and welcome about MalwareBurn( now called MalwareCore):

A Rogue Security Program is software that purports to scan and detect malware or other problems on the computer, but which attempts to dupe or badger users into purchasing the program by presenting the user with intrusive, deceptive warnings and/or false, misleading scan results. Rogue Security Programs typically use aggressive, deceptive advertising and may be installed without adequate notice and consent, often through exploits.

CounterSpy
Uninstall it from Control Panel,Add/Remove Programs
Rerun the SUper and ATF instructions I gave you here.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry732654
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 ccc6

ccc6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:37 PM

boopme
I will remove malware burn, but I don't undertand. Do youmean the insructions in your first post? I assume that is what you mean. I am extremely worried about attempting this, but I have confidence in your instructios. Hope I can do it..
And those who were seen dancing, were thought insane by those who could not hear the music......Nietzsche

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,912 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 07:31 PM

Yes the Malwareburn is a Rogue product,explained if you click the Counterspy link.
Yes after you uninstall Mburn,please`run the prior instructions from The ATF Super antispyware portion. Post the log again here .
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 ccc6

ccc6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 08:54 PM

I fouled up. I followed directions and all went well. But, I forgot to remove MalwareBurn. I can do it before I run anything. completed the scan but before I retrieve the removal information, I will remove MalwareBurn ok. I am tired and going to quit for tonight. Thanks for your help!!
Will all the processing be ok even though the remove was not done until now?

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,912 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 08:59 PM

You'll be OK, get some rest.

#7 ccc6

ccc6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 09:11 AM

I ran Remove all programs but MB is still in programs. should I try to delete folders?After reboot ,I tried to get scan logs but there were none available. System seems ok . But I would like to get rid of MB. Gotta go now, be back this afternoon...Joe

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,912 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:39 AM

Yes you can delete the folders.
If you have a problem doing so see How to delete or rename files and folders that are in use or locked in Windows

#9 ccc6

ccc6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 05:42 PM

I deleted folders while in safe mode. MB is gone and I hope my pc is healthy again. Your instructions were great and thank you for the time you spent helping. What do you suggest running Superantispyware periodically?

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,912 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:48 PM

You're welcome and you did a great job too! I recommend that you update it at least weekly and before any scan. You can buy it and have real protection also. You can look at that on the download page link.

Now you should Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
Click "OK".
Click the "More Options" Tab.
Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.

#11 ccc6

ccc6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 12:22 PM

One last question............I did the system restore. Entered the name and time,date in Notepad and saved it. Is that what I was supposed to do? Is the system restore file in XP and do I have to see it?
When I started using MB I noticed that my spam tripled. Now, that it is gone spam is reduced. I suspect my addy was sent to users by MB. What do you think?..........joe

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,912 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 01:46 PM

I'm not certain that was correct. From my #10 post open the link Create a New Restore Point

In the second image,see the box labelled "Restore Point Desription." Name it there.

Yes the malware has probably sold off you email address. If you have the option to block or bounce their emails do so. eventually it willl wane.

#13 ccc6

ccc6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 03:25 PM

I did system restore again today and removed all old restore points. I have already noticed spam diminishing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users