Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two Harddrives?!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ShinAkuma

ShinAkuma

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 01:03 AM

OK heres the deal, I just ordered a new computer that should be arriving shortly. The problem is I have gigs of music and CD-keys for my games (I no longer have the game cases so I don't know the CD-keys) on my old hard-drive. Is there anyway I can put my old hard-drive, my current one, into my new PC and run it off the new PC as a second hard-drive so that I can keep all my cd-keys and music?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:53 AM

As long as the computer you are getting allows upgrades, it is fairly simple to use your old drive as a spare.

Now, is it IDE or SATA? And if your new one has a power supply that is not at least 400 watts, you might want to think of replacing it.

After opening the case, you'll need to position the old drive near the new drive. Some motherboards use Cable Select (CS jumper). Some use Master/Slave. You need to set your old drive appropriately. Hook up the power supply to the new one. Boot up and it should give it a D: drive letter, unless something already has that drive letter.

If you want to open the case and tell us what you have, once you get it, we can probably help further.

DR

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:50 PM

Yes :thumbsup:.

Just to clarify, your programs will not run from that second disk, but you will be able to access all data files which are on that hard drive.

Louis

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 01:30 PM

your programs will not run from that second disk

Why not? I have applications on various drives (including network shares) that work just fine.
?? :thumbsup:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,279 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 04:04 PM

Because they are tuned to the XP install on the drive which was formerly a C:/boot drive.

Yes, they can run if he/she installs the programs from the new O/S on that drive...I could have been clearer but I tend to take a lot for granted :thumbsup:.

The registry settings for those programs now installed (on what will be the 2d drive)...won't allow proper functioning by the new XP when it becomes the boot partition/drive.

Louis

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:45 PM

Each Windows installation has entries in the registry that tell the programs how to work. Since these entries won't exist in your new Windows installation, the programs won't work.

Also, they have security descriptors assigned to each particular Windows installation - and that information will tell the system that those settings belong to another Windows installation than the one that you're running. So Windows won't let it run.

Next, if the program thinks it's on the C: drive - but it's now on the E: drive - it's gonna be confused, and won't want to run. That's relatively easy to change for the main program startup - but it won't fix the "calls" that the program makes to other files within the program's folder.

Finally, the keys and security stuff within the programs is designed to prevent copying (to prevent unauthorized use) - so just getting your game keys may not be very easy to do (if it's possible at all).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,279 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 08:23 PM

Can only be done before you move hard drive or install new hard drive:

For the game keys, you could try installing SIW System Information for Windows - http://www.gtopala.com/ and then see what info is reflected in the Licenses group. Not sure if such would be reflected there but it's a chance.

Then write down said info....might as well write down your XP license key also.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 06 February 2008 - 08:23 PM.

#8 ShinAkuma

ShinAkuma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 11:39 PM

OK well on my current harddrive, the one where I have my valuable programs and cd keys, is about 4 and half years old. So I don't think its SATA. Also, my current harddrive is running windows XP and my new one will come with vista. I am getting the feeling that I am screwed and there is no way i can keep my music and cd-keys as well as other valuable files.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 07:37 AM

As hamluis suggests, use SIW, Everest Free, or the Belarc Advisor software to find all the license keys and write them down somewhere. You'll still have to reinstall the games (if they're Vista compatible), but you won't have to buy new games since you'd have the keys.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 07 February 2008 - 05:09 PM

Because they are tuned to the XP install on the drive which was formerly a C:/boot drive.

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't at all read the initial post that way. Now that I re-read it, I will say DUH on me! :thumbsup:

#11 ShinAkuma

ShinAkuma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 05:13 PM

nice..thanks guys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users